MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2003, 11:23 AM   #1
danmnvik
Registered Member

Default Pertronix Electronic Igintion

I'm going to convert my 65 289 to electronic ignition. I purchased a kit called Ignitor from Pertronix. Anyone else used this product? If yes, how has it worked out?
danmnvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
66StangGuy
Registered Member

i have pertronix in my setup and it works great. i had to replace the distributor before i had to do anything to the pertronix. it works great and i know that i will never have a problem with points again. if you need help setting it up post your question and i will reply as soon as i can.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:36 PM   #3
Elvis
Registered Member

I put the Pertronix in my '67 - 289 a few years ago. Best 65 bucks I ever spent. It took me about 15 minutes to put it in and if I can do it, anybody can. Go for it. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
danmnvik
Registered Member

Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase. I just received the part and will install this weekend. The instructions look easy. Did either of you purchase the pertronix coil as well?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
72Stang351C-2V
Registered Member

Were did you order your ignition systems at? I have been thinking about getting a pertronix and was curious as to where you all have gotten them from.

Thanks
72Stang351C-2V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
bouf1128
Registered Member

I installed the Pertronix ignition kit in my 65 Hardtop (289) last summer and noticed a significant improvement. It makes everything fire better and I feel puts points & condenser to shame. You still have set have to set the gap (Pertronix kit has the "gap" tool already in the kit).
bouf1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Elvis
Registered Member

I didn't change the coil but it may be a good idea to do it. Regarding the question about where to get the Pertronix, as I recall I got mine from Texas Mustang parts. I get most of my stuff from them. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:55 PM   #8
blownbyyou
Registered Member

install it and you will see the difference
4:11 8" aburn Prorearend
ATI c4 reverse manual valve body.
no e.t. yet
before rear swap and NOS addition ran 15.1 with the 2.78 rear gears
blownbyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:28 AM   #9
nielsmobers
Registered Member

Default Do it your self.....

Instead of buying a elektronic ingintion you can also build your own. I did it and it works perfect (it also saves some money). I will attach the schematic. You have to remove the capacitor when a elektronic ignition is installed. The capacitor helps to reduce sparks at the points, but the high current that causes these sparks is reduced by a resistor (R1) the capacitor has no use anymore. This smaller current is the reason your points last much longer. If you'd want explanation about the schematic just ask I know the function of every component.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elektronic_ignition.jpg (254.7 KB, 40 views)
nielsmobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:37 AM   #10
danmnvik
Registered Member

Default Works Great!

I installed the Ignitor in less than 15 minutes and it was a definite improvement. I purchased mine from National Parts Depot. It was the lowest price I could find.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:39 AM   #11
uncdick
Registered Member

Question Flamethrower Coil

Does anyone know if you have to bypass the resistor wire to the Pertronix Flamethrower Coil. The instructions suck and I have seen some posts that say it does not matter just hook it up the same as the original with the 6v resistor in line. What puzzles me is I had installed the ignitor a year ago and its worked fin but ran a little rich. I find out now that the ignitor red lead needs to bypass the resistor and the instructions for the Flamethrower Coil say to bypass it as well. But I have a diagram from someone else and they show a 12V lead off the ignition switch to the Ignitor only! Why am I putting a 12V coil to a 6V resistor and will I get the performance. It runs fine now, but should I take the time to run a 12V lead from the ignition, to the coil. I guess what I am asking is if it runs good now will it improve and maybe help the richness problem.

Thanks!
Rick
uncdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:14 AM   #12
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I wondered the same thing, I have mine wired into the 6v wire because I didnt feel like trying to find a 12v hot wire, given how screwed up my harness is. Does it make a real difference? It helped a bit, but not as much as I thought. (I have the petronix ignitor and blaster coil)

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #13
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

I have the Pertronix with the Flamethrower coil installed on my 1966 coupe with 289. I have found it to be very forgiving as to the way it is wired. At first, both module and coil were wired through the resistor (pink) wire. Everything worked fine. Then I learned that the module wants to have the full 12 volts so spliced and ran a seperate wire from near the ignition switch ahead of the resistor. Still works fine but I believe the module will last much longer this way. As to the coil, stock coil needs to be wired through the resistor, Flamethrower can stand the full 12 volts but will also work through the resistor. Any way you hook it up, it beats points.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #14
Ron1
Registered Member

Have you checked out the new HEI Billet distributors? All in one...coil and distributor.
http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/ignition.html#1281

Ron
9.74 @ 137 w/ N2O
www.fastspecialties.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote