MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
Dave & Cindy
Registered Member

Question 67 fan pulley

Still working on the power steering. It was not hooked up when I got the car, but I noticed that the crank pulley and the fan pulley doesn't line up. The one I have is too shallow and I can't even come near getting a second belt on for the power steering.

As far as I know I have a '67 coupe with 289, A/T, P/S.

Anybody have any stock ones they are willing to part with, or can you point me to a reasonable source?

What different pulley offsets were available stock?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Jeff65
Registered Member

I have a stock '67 289 fan and fan pulley but no spacer. I don't know if this would help you. Do you have a stock crankshaft pulley or aftermarket? The stock one is pressed sheet metal and some of the aftermarket ones are cast iron.

Classic Auto Air may be able to help you with replacement pulleys. They're in Tampa, FL. Do an internet search for their phone number.

When I set up my FRPP 302, I had to modify some of the brackets and use some spacers to get correct alignment.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
Dave & Cindy
Registered Member

Jeff65 Sorry it's been so long. We have our county fair and I have kids showing animals.

I think it's a stock crank pulley, but don't know for sure. I have tried about 15 different ones local people have had from small block Fords and have yet to find the correct one.

I have found about 3 more sets locally to try as soon as this damn fair thing is over with.

I have calculated that I need 2 3/8" offset on a double-belt pulley.

What would you be willing to part with yours for, if it is the same?

Thanks for the help,
Old 09-03-2002, 10:04 AM   #4
Jeff65
Registered Member

I have a cast (aftermarket) crank pulley available. It is a three-sheave for water pump-alternator, water pump-power steering, and air conditioning. The air conditioning belt crosses the crankshaft pulley, an idler pulley, and the a/c compressor.

I also have a two-sheave (original '67 Ford) water pump pulley for the above.

The alternator offset is adjusted by the length of the spacer and the placement of the alternator bracket that also requires a small spacer.

When I aligned mine, the radiator was out and I used a carpenter's square to align and set the pulleys. Basically, I put the square across the front of the crankshaft pulley and used this as reference for spacing the other pulleys. It worked out fine.

As I said, you can likely get a set of matching pulleys from Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL. Just search on Classic Auto Air and their phone number should pop up. If you can't find it, I will look it up for you.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2002, 12:18 AM   #5
Dave & Cindy
Registered Member

Found a pully locally that was within 1/8 and shimmed it out to work ( I hope)

Got the alternator running straight now, and will attack the p/s in the morning when I figure out what I need for a belt.

It's getting closer to drivable, but it's still ugly. That'l have to wait for next summer as the hay is needing cut now.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 07:37 AM   #6
Jeff65
Registered Member

Can't imagine having to shim it out 1/8"! Is the harmonic balancer fully bolted up? What are you using for a harmonic balancer and where'd you get it? Three bolt type? Four bolt type? Note there are thick harmonic dampers for use on HiPo engines with a different timing cover and water pump. Perhaps you're trying to mix harmonics and pulleys. Fact is you should be using a thin harmonic, three bolt type on your 289. The width of the top of the harmonic should be about 7/8" (guessing). I can check mine and make sure of the measurement but if yours is 1" or wider, its either a HiPo or an aftermarket part.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: