MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
china3
Registered Member

Default 67 fastback 289 4v 4 speed suspension

67 fastback, 4v, 289, 4 speed, want to keep as original as possible. I need to replace suspension whether stock or an up graded suspension kit. Want to make it nice but a driver. If $$ is not object, and have a choice between relocating the bolts for a stock set up or upgrading to a new suspension kit, Global West, Total Control, Grabatrack, etc....any others I'm not aware of..what are your thoughts? Im told the ride, handling, etc with the new suspension is much better. I hear the coil over systems are superior. Not planning on racing but want to drive it like a sports car.

Also, toying with the idea of changing manual steering to manual with rack & pnion or power with rack and pinion. Any pros and cons with these ideas? Heard good things about Flaming River.
china3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: 67 fastback 289 4v 4 speed suspension

Definately go aftermarket. Kinda odd you want sports car handling while keeping it stock though!? I cant say I've had any experience with those kits, but im sure you could check out some various magazines to get some performance numbers. I just somewhat recently put in a Mustang II front suspension setup in my 65, but havent yet been able to drive it since I decided to rip it all apart.
I decided to go with a manual R&P with my setup, since its a pretty light car. 67's are a bit heavier, but I still wouldnt see you having much of a problem with it. Another reason I went with manual is so I didnt have to deal with a power steering pump/hoses and all that stuff.