View Single Post
Old 08-09-2001, 06:56 PM   #1
Lawless
Registered Member

Question Surging Problem - Help

I have a 1990 Ford Mustang LX with a serious surge problem (off idle). The surge occurs between 1500-2500 rpm and is so bad....you have to clutch in and then accelerate (clutching out) to get it to stop surging. The rich/lean indicator is indicating a lean condition when this is occurring. I bought the car like this and have been trying for the last month to correct this problem. The engine runs fine when accelerating or driving
fast. The car has a 302 with trick flow twisted wedge heads (ported and polished,
o-ringed), Vortech R trim Supercharger (15 pounds of boost at 6000 rpm), GT-40 lower intake, Downs upper, Accufab 70mm throttle body, Pro-m 77mm MAF (calibrated), 36lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorty headers, 3" Mac exhaust, Comp Cam (.597 lift, 230 duration, 114 lobe separation, 1.6 roller rockers, upgraded in tank fuel pump and NOS external fuel pump etc.

After talking to various tech lines I was told a custom programmed chip would solve my problem. I was referred to and ordered a Custom Programmed Chip from Super Chip. It did nothing to correct my problem. I have
diagnosed all the basic systems (to much to mention) and they appear to be fine. I have ordered an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (Aeromotive). The car has a stock regulator, I checked the pressure (with a gauge) it showed 40 at idle and 42 when the engine was revved up. I don't suppose it is the problem but I need one anyway. What should I set it at ? I also ordered new O2 sensors....same story. I am beginning to get frustrated, I am wondering what I should do next ? I thought about replacing the MAF with a different brand. Would that help ? I am going to remove the MAF tonight and clean the wire with electrical cleaner, I was told if oil gets on it (from the K&N), it can goof up.

Oh yeah, I live in Northern Alberta.......... there are no dyno's, speed shops or the like here. I am on my own.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks....... Jay
Lawless is offline   Reply With Quote