MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2001, 03:51 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Red face Wiper problems Arrrgh

It took me a while to notice this problem since it did not rain for a while after getting my Notchback running. My wipers only function in the high position, the washer works but I have to turn on the wipers manually, when I switch to low, they stop dead. My 89 - 93 Chiltons manual has no wiring diagrams of the wiper system, I have the 79-88 version too, and there is partial info on a 87 system listing a module between the switch and motor. My motor has more wires than that setup. I would prefer to meter the wires first before yanking out the switch or motor, but I dont know what wires are supposed to do what??
Does the Factory service manual cover this???
I was hoping to fix this this weekend.

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo

Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2001, 02:08 PM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

The brushes in the motor may be going bad or are dirty, mine did the same thing. Tap it gently with a hammer a couple times this will loosen everything up, I covered it with a rag so I didn't beat it up. It has worked for the last year and half. The next time it happens I'll go buy a new one.

Good Luck

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2001, 04:54 PM   #3
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I just put a new motor in mine, it was doing the same thing. If i pushed down on the motor the blades would go, but not as fast as they should. The gears in the motor were too tight, and i couldn't fix it so I spent $40 and got a used motor from www.stangparts.com

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties
Flowmasters
All Power
Super Chip

SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2001, 05:21 PM   #4
Bangin Gears

I had it happen to my old mustang (87 notch 5.0), i beat it with a hammer just about everytime it rained, and then it just died one day, while it was raining. My advice is to just go buy a re-manufactured one. Its gonna go on you eventually.

[This message has been edited by Bangin Gears (edited 03-24-2001).]
Old 03-25-2001, 08:59 AM   #5
Chevyguy

Talking

Intersting, I would not have expected the motor to be bad since it does move on the high setting. Thanks for the info guys.

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

Old 03-25-2001, 10:27 PM   #6
Chevyguy

Talking

Banged on the motor with the switch in the low position, and it started moving kept banging till it moved well. Noticed a rebuild sticker on the unit. Time to buy a new one, or should I get one from the boneyard?? I saw about 10 intact ones this weekend. My guess is get the rebuilt one since this may be a common problem

------------------
Frank W