MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
temj3
Registered Member

Default 68 Header problems

Hi guys, I just first wanted to say thank you all so far for helping me with my 68 restore..all your help has really made a significant difference.

My new question i have for the Sage's of Early Mustangs is I have a 289 manual tranny and I am replacing the headers but I cannot get the drivers side header out due to what i tihnk is the clutch or somthing that goes right through the center of the center and makes it impossible to get it out...

any ideas on how exactly to get this header out without pulling my hair out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
temj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Blue68Coupe
68 Coupe 289

Default Re: 68 Header problems

Well mine is a 289 Auto but I had to lift the motor to pull my drivers side header.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

It can definately be a PITA getting the drivers side header out, I would pull the linkage out and try it that way. Mine is so tight the guy at the muffler shop who ran my exhaust welded the header to the rest of the exhuast instead of using the bolts and stuff. I cant honestly remember if I put it in from the top or bottom. Like Blue68Coupe said, you might have to lift your engine, would probably be easier.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon View Post
It can definately be a PITA getting the drivers side header out, I would pull the linkage out and try it that way. Mine is so tight the guy at the muffler shop who ran my exhaust welded the header to the rest of the exhuast instead of using the bolts and stuff. I cant honestly remember if I put it in from the top or bottom. Like Blue68Coupe said, you might have to lift your engine, would probably be easier.
Whatever anyone else ever says, don't ever let anyone weld the header flange to the head pipe. This is always (never say never) the correct way to do it.

I do think the clutch linkage is a tight fit with the the headers on the driver's side. You have to have headers that are specific for the 4 speed tranny/clutch linkage. You should be able to wiggle those headers in there with a little work and a lot of sweat.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon View Post
Mine is so tight the guy at the muffler shop who ran my exhaust welded the header to the rest of the exhuast instead of using the bolts and stuff.
The jerks who welded mine up did this too. WTF is up with people these days??? Too bad I had that done back when the Mustang was my only car, or I would've done it myself.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
bmxmon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMustang65 View Post
The jerks who welded mine up did this too. WTF is up with people these days??? Too bad I had that done back when the Mustang was my only car, or I would've done it myself.
Yeah, I didnt know the guys who did mine was going to do it either, wasnt real happy once I figured it out. What can ya do...