MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
PeTr0
Registered Member

Default Broken Header Stud (header to Hpipe)

Like everywinter...i break a few bolts and things trying to work on my beloved rustang. Well how do i get this thing out...it looks like it has a head on it, but no hex just round. I dont even rememer having to thread it in the flange. Can i just tap it out or do i have to drill it? any way to do this without taking the header out?
Red 1993 Gt- 3.55 gears,flowmasters,BBK Shortie Headers, BBK Hi-Flow H-Pipe, BBK cold air induction w/K&N, Pro 5.0 shifer,UPR Adjustable cable and quad, 130 amp alt., underdrives,65mm T-body,MegaBite Jr. Lowers and Heavy Duty HPM uppers, Koni Yellow struts & Shocks, FMS 'B' Springs, Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD 6AL and blaster tfi coil, sony cd player and changer, kicker component speakers, Kenwood Excelon amp, 2 12" subs in the hatch,Cobra R Rims and Nitto NT555 all around, timing bumped to 13 deg., ADS Superchip, and mobil 1 oil lubing the 302.
PeTr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Broken Header Stud (header to Hpipe)

Im not exactly sure what your talking about, but try picking up some easy outs (i think they are called that) Its just a backward drill bit kinda. If you have the room, they work really well. I had to use one to get out a busted bolt from my flywheel.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

It will be a lot easier with the header out. Your sig says you got bbk shorty headers. Those have 3/8"(I believe) studs in them. You can get a left handed drill and (from the h-pipe side) try to unscrew it with that. But in this case, you're probably better off just drilling a hole in it and using an easy out. But if you take the header out, you can come from the other side and use a right hand drill bit. If you can get it to bite without breaking the drill bit, it should screw right out. Since there isn't a lot of room to work with, I'd go ahead and take the header off. BTW, you can get easy outs at the parts store and some of them come with the right size drill bit. If there is enough of the stud sticking out where you broke it you can weld a nut on the broke stud and unscrew it with that. This is always my first choice method of removing broken bolts.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
PeTr0
Registered Member

good idea....wish i had a welder
Red 1993 Gt- 3.55 gears,flowmasters,BBK Shortie Headers, BBK Hi-Flow H-Pipe, BBK cold air induction w/K&N, Pro 5.0 shifer,UPR Adjustable cable and quad, 130 amp alt., underdrives,65mm T-body,MegaBite Jr. Lowers and Heavy Duty HPM uppers, Koni Yellow struts & Shocks, FMS 'B' Springs, Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD 6AL and blaster tfi coil, sony cd player and changer, kicker component speakers, Kenwood Excelon amp, 2 12" subs in the hatch,Cobra R Rims and Nitto NT555 all around, timing bumped to 13 deg., ADS Superchip, and mobil 1 oil lubing the 302.
PeTr0 is offline   Reply With Quote