MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Gizahuna
Registered Member

Question 68 restoration

I'm a newbe with mustang restoration. I have a 68 coupe that has some mixed parts (ie: gas cap and wheel covers). It will also need some cosmetic restoration. If I want to keep it as close to original as I can, where can I find out what options were offered for the mustangs in 68. When I look at sites like americanpony.com for parts there are multiple options for something like a gas cap or rims. But my question is which one was offered in 68. I would appreciate any direction that people can give.
Gizahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Kisner
Registered Member

I also have a 68 coupe that I finished restoring 2 years ago. Let me know the specific questions you have about which parts go on it and I can probably answer them all. I researched this issue for 3 years and put my back in exact original condition, with the exception of a little chrome in the engine compartment and 65 styled wheels (which I liked better than the styled 68's). Since it's a coupe that narrows it down quite a bit, but I'd also need to know when (date) it was made and if it was a GT model. Some people don't realize that there was 3 different 68 coupes with a few different parts depending on when it came off the production line. For example, the early model 68's have rear side-marker lenses that are recessed in the quarter panels with the rim painted the color of the car. On the late model 68's however, Ford was reducing costs due to the strike that year and elected to just use the chrome-edged marker lenses from the cougar. The late models also deleted the interior dash knee pad and A-pillar vinyl pads, along with a few other modifications. The last models that rolled off the line incorporated head rests in the seats due to newly mandated safety regulations (same seats used in the 69 coupes).

Again, let me know which part you need if there are more than one option, and I can probably tell you which one was used on your car.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Gizahuna
Registered Member

Default 68 restoration

Thanks for the help. I think it maybe a mid year model b/c the rear reflectors mentioned have chrome detailing but the car doesn't have headrests.
Gizahuna is offline   Reply With Quote