MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Question 68 Seat Back Adjustment

Anyone out there with a late model 68 know how you can adjust the seat backs on the front bucket seats. I have all the original parts including the nylon round seat stops on the bottom and the oval rubber plates on the top. I've looked through the shop manual and there's no mention of any type adjusting mechanism or screw as there was on earlier models. Have a lot of play (mostly in driver's seat) when the seat is back and latched (about 4-5 inches at the top) and assembly manual says should be no more than 1.95". Stops and plates are not terribly worn, but could be my hinges or frames slowly warped over the years. The only temporary solution I can come up with is to add several thick washers under the bottom stops. It eliminated most of it, but is there a better way. Unless I missed it, I guess Ford figured you didn't need to adjust the seat back in 68.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 05:11 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Don't know of any seat adjustment on a 68.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 11:46 AM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

Thanks. Didn't think there was. Originally thought of replacing seats with ProFit, but more I thought about it just couldn't part with original seats. Several of my front bucket springs were broke but I found an upholstery shop that completely stripped all the surface rust from the front and rear seat frames and springs, completely repaired all my broken springs, painted the frames and springs and put new brand new reproduction 68 seat covers on. The seat covers cost me $159 and their labor was $450. Not sure of costs in other parts of the country, but I think I got a good deal for the amount of work they did. The seat buns were in great shape and I think they only had to add a small amount of foam in a few areas to make them look just like they did in 68. Can't wait to install if my painter can ever fit me in and get this thing painted. After 3 years of restoration work taking up every second of my spare time, going stir crazy waiting.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote