MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Default 68's Flashers Not Working Properly

I haven't used my 68's flashers in about 4 years but yesterday I needed to use them. The problem is, although everything flashed exactly as it should, the lights are so dim you can barely see them. Everything else (turn signals, lights, and brake lights) is nice and bright when I turn them on - it's only the flashers. Any suggestions where I should start looking? Is my flasher or fuse going bad possibly - it still seems to work and clicks perfectly?
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
okiedragster
Drag Racer and Mach1 Addict

Default Re: 68's Flashers Not Working Properly

yea you might swap your flasher fuse with your turn signal fuse and just see it makes any difference...

My 71 Mach 1
okiedragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

I put a new fuse in and it still does the same thing. I have figured it out though. It's the flasher. It actually flashes so fast that it's not giving the lights time to turn on fully. Don't remember where I bought it 5 years ago (NPD, Mustangs Unlimited, or AutoZone). But they sold me 2 separate flashers - one for the turn signals and a different one for the emergency lights. Are the emergency lights supposed to flash about 10 times faster than the turn signal lights? I'll have to look at the connections but I believe they were identical. Can I just buy the same flasher as the turn signals use and it will work? I know on my F-150 pickup the emergency lights flash at the same speed as the turn signals.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Kisner
Registered Member

Solved my flasher problem. NPD apparently sent me the wrong flasher. Bought 2 new flashers yesterday at NAPA (both the turn signals and emergency flashers are supposed to be part # 552) and now my emergency flashers work perfectly. Don't ask me how freaking long it took me to get to the emergency flasher and replace it though. Really needed a rubber arm about 6 feet long (ha ha).
Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
okiedragster
Drag Racer and Mach1 Addict

i thought both were the same part #..glad you got er goin...

My 71 Mach 1
okiedragster is offline   Reply With Quote