View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 03:42 AM   #5
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

I like your numbers, and your times match to your guestimates. I would say that the cam on its own is not overkill for your combination.

You are running a torquer II single plane and a holley 700 and you are right on for these pieces.

You are giving up an easy 35-45 horsepower by using such low compression. I use 13 to 13.5 compression on this type of race engine.

I would never use the ford heads because they are simply too compromised. My trick flow heads, out of the box flow more than a fully race ported ford head. I have ported mine to the 1262 felpro gastket which is just 1/4 inch shorter than the 428 CJ ports.

The 428 CJ heads were exact matches to the 427 low riser heads. They are designed to build excellent torque and hp from idle to 6,000 RPM. With some cleaver porting, we were running 428 CJ engines into the early 9's at 8,500 RPM with the Le Mans rods. What a ride. It spun the slicks to 100 mph with a solid spool. TORQUE CITY.

Interestingly enough, depending on your total overlap ( the cam timing when the intake and exhaust valve are both open ) the roller cam can act as if it is showing the engine high compression. What I mean here is that I like to run 11.5 to 1 compression with zero gap rings, a tight piston to bore clearance, and run a 600 lift cam at about 270 duration 235-245 duration at .50 with 36 degrees overlap. This super fills the cylinder at high RPM and the squeeze makes power like a 13 to 1 compression engine. You still need to run racing fuel or something with at least 104 octane.

You would be at early 11's with 12.5 to one compression with your cam. I would port the intakes to the 1262 felpro gasket. Leave an additional 1/16 inch of metal because these gaskets are soft and they get sucked into the port over time. The extra metal means the gasket will deform but not intrude into the air flow.

I have to replace my felpro gaskets EVERY 6 months. I start to suck oil or coolant, and I know I need to change these. Hopefully someone will make a high quality 1262 size gasket soon that will resist the problem I am having.

I have a race shop working with Mr Gasket ultraseal team right now to get this accomplished. Trick flow heads are everywhere, and the 1262 ports are similar to the world product Windsor heads or the Air Flow Research units.

By the way, I think shaving your throttle shafts on the carb, running double downleg hp boosters, and milling off your choke horn might get you a couple of tenths faster in the quarter mile. Is your car a double pumper or vacume secondaries?