MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-18-2001, 12:29 AM   #1
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Question Electrical Gremlins

So here's the deal.... whenever my car (65 coupe~351W) is running all of my lighting accesories seem pulsate, getting bright and then dim. The battery is new and the alternator looks to be in good shape. I'm thinking that it may be the constant voltage regulator but am not really sure. Also... my instrument panel lights do not turn on when I turn on the headlights/parking lights. All the wires are connected and the bulbs are new. Is there something wrong with the switch that only affects the cluster lights? Could it be a fuse? I am almost finished with a full body and interior restoration on the car and would like to take care of these little annoyances before I get her all back together.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.... Thanks
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 08:00 AM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Check and make sure your ground wire is tight and that you have a ground between the engine and the car frame.

The headlight switch is what feeds the inst. lights. You should be able to check continuity between the switch and cluster. Also, though the IVR.

Do the tail lamps work?? They are connected together to the inst. lamps. You could have a short back there too.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 10:59 AM   #3
red
Registered Member

A new headlight switch will probably fix the instrument panel lights problem. The rheostat (sp? - dimmer) that controls the intensity of the instrument panel lights gets corroded after 36 years exposed to the elements inside your car. You can find out if this is the problem by twisting the headlight knob back and forth a bunch of times to knock off some of the corrosion and re-establish electrical contact.

My interior lights pulse to, intensity correlated directly with engine rpm. I guess all cars from the 60's had this problem? Anyone know if the replacement regulators solve this problem? I'm used to it and kinda like it!

-red
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 12:34 AM   #4
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response guys. I'll go ahead and replace the headlight switch just to be on the safe side(it looked pretty crusty anyway).

I'll proabably not worry too much about the pulsating lights for now, I too, kinda like 'em and have been asked how I got the "cool effect" a few times.

Thanks for the help...I'll post a picture when she's complete.

Later
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote