MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-15-2001, 10:58 PM   #1
MidniteWrider
Registered Member

Question New Brake Booster - Need Help

I have just recently upgraded my brakes; I had four-wheel manual drums. I installed I a power booster from NPD. The overall installation was pretty straightforward. I removed the old pedal and master cylinder and installed the new pedal and cylinder along with the booster. I also ran new lines from the proportioning valve to the master cylinder. I Have bleed the brakes twice and I still have pressure problems. On the first pump the pedal is useless, it is not until the second pump until I actually get any stopping power. As of right now I cannot get the brake light to go out. I have tried what my Haynes manual said - to turn the key on and bleed the brake opposite the side you have worked on, so far that hasn’t worked. Is there a way to manually reset the proportioning valve to make the light go out and equalize the pressure or do I still have air in my lines???? Any comments or insight would be helpful.
Thanks,
MidniteWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 11:06 PM   #2
MidniteWrider
Registered Member

By the way I have a 68 Hardtop. Formerly a 6 now a slightly built 289 w/C4. I plan on this to be the first of many Mustangs.
MidniteWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 07:17 AM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

You can take the little switch out of the proportioning valve and move the valve to center. It is possibly stuck. They use to make a tool that you would screw down in there "before" you did any bleeding to hold the valve from moving. If the valve is moved, light on, you have half your brakes cut off. You'll never get a good pedal. Also, make certain that you have the drum brakes adjusted up where they belong, not loose.

[This message has been edited by Gearhead999 (edited 06-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gearhead999 (edited 06-16-2001).]
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 07:19 AM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

You can take the little switch out of the proportioning valve and move the valve to center. It is possibly stuck. They use to make a tool that you would screw down in there "before" you did any bleeding to hold the valve from moving. If the valve is moved, light on, you have half your brakes cut off. You'll never get a good pedal. Also, make certain that you have the drum brakes adjusted up where they belong, not loose.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote