MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-02-2001, 10:27 AM   #1
JM90GT
Registered Member

Post can you swap an auto tran for a 5 speed easily?

I am going to have to replace my tranny soon. But if I can put a standard transmission in her that would make it worth having to do it in the first place. What I want to know is is the work maybe to much for a guy who is learning. I mean all I've done is small work, this would be a bigger project. Or should I just have it done.
JM90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 10:33 AM   #2
Green92LX
Registered Member

If you are confident in yourself enough to take it apart, then go for it. It is a VERY easy job, at least for me. You will have some people say its cake and others would rather have their eyes poked out of their heads.

If you are only used to doing "little" work, then have it done, but I learned all those years ago by just taking it apart and doing it.

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 01:06 PM   #3
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

its not that big of a job..maybee im just saying this cuz most car stuff comes second hand to me..changing the tranny is easy..just take the odl one out and put the new one in..run the clutch cable(easy)..the pain in the @ss(butt not difficult) part is swapping the pedal assembly..you need a take out from aa 5 speed car..you will also need to jump a wire to get the car to start(or you need to change the tranny harness)..

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 02:59 PM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

Ya, you need the pedal assembally out of another car (the entire thing, brake and clutch pedals), make sure you get all the little electronic bits that are attached to those too. You need to get the rubber insulator, console cover, and shift boot as well, cause even if ford does still sell them, they will be excitingly expensive. Anyone know what year cars the pedals can come out of? Same year will work (obviously) and I'd assume that the fox bodies would be interchangable (79-93) but what about the sn95s?

Check this out too: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ap/index.shtml

[This message has been edited by dinomite (edited 04-02-2001).]
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 06:28 PM   #5
Big&bad89rag

Question

I hope it's not too hard, cause I'm planning the same type of thing this summer, and I think Im in about the same boat as JM. I have heard about people having driveabilty probs with the auto comp and 5-speed, is this all realated to the harness you were talking about? Is it a big rewire job to switch the harnesses or the little part that you have to do? Also, is it true that the auto comps have better fuel/timing curves? sorry for asking all this in your post, and thanks for any info.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:51 PM   #6
Strim91GT
Registered Member

I did the T-5 swap in mine about a year ago. I've had no driveability problems at all. I agree the biggest part was changing the pedals out. I got my pedal assembly from Mustang Parts Specialties in georgia. for $225 i think. (www.stangparts.com) The guy i got my T-5 from had the backup wiring harness on the trans already. But I had no problems with the neutral start switch with the automatic computer. Since it's an automatic computer i can start the car without having to push in the clutch pedal. I've got a vortech S trim and aluminum heads and cobra intake and all the other goodies with 4.10 gears. So i just ruined my T-5 about a week ago and am looking to go Tremec TKO. Ohh besides what these guys have mentioned you will need a spacer plate from a 5 liter with a manual transmission. the automatic spacer plate on mine did not work. If you're planning on doing some good mods later on, i would seriously consider a Tremec trans. It could save you from doing it twice. It's a little more to begin with, but since you have no manual trans or clutch or anything to start with i would really consider skipping the T-5 and going Tremec. I know i wish i would have now.

Big&bad89rag: I am from the hutchinson area and would be happy to talk to you about it.
Strim91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 08:14 PM   #7
Big&bad89rag

Strim: dont see too many people from around here on this, ever come cruisin in Hutch? I drive a black/silver '89 rag, and have a couple friends with a black '93 coupe, a guy with a maroon/silver gt hatch, and a guy that comes in sometimes w/ a blown blue/silver gt w/ cobra r's (is that you?) any way, post an e-mail or ill see ya around (before I get too off topic) we need to get a 5.0 night goin or something around here.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:36 PM   #8
Strim91GT
Registered Member

Well, as the Strim name goes. I'm the one with the blown ultra blue metallic and titanium gt with cobra r's.
Strim91GT is offline   Reply With Quote