MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-2002, 11:06 AM   #1
66fastback
Registered Member

Default 8" traction....what's out there?

who knows what units are available for the good old 8"? I've got a strong housing with 3.40 gears that I like, but I really can't stand the lack of traction I get. I have traction bars and have moved the battery to the trunk, but there is no substitute for a good traction lock. I have an old Equaloc in my 3.00 to 1 gears that came with the car, but it is too weak.....even if I rebuilt it I doubt it would perform like I would like it to.....I really need a performance designed unit.

Right now I have the 3.40 gears out, and the 3.00 set is in and I still have bad traction problems. Sure smoking them down is fun, but I really shouldn't have problems coming out of 20 mph turns. Forget pulling out in front of traffic. I can feather the throttle and ride the clutch, but I'm still steering with the rear wheels. In fact, that is the fastest way for me to get out into traffic.....dump the clutch and cut the wheel.....when the rear end swings around I lift off the gas and let the car straiten up. Fun--yeah, but safe???? NO WAY.

I have heard that Currie makes a TSD (torque sensing diff--what ever that is) but I haven't heard about any others. Heck, even the Currie web site doesn't tell you that they have an 8" version, I had to read that in a magazine (nor do they actually tell what the TSD unit is). I've been surfing for days and can only find stuff for the 8.8 and 9.0 rears, not that I'm surprised by this, but I was wondering if I had any other options. If Currie doesn't tell you about 8" stuff, maybe the others don't either.

So if anybody knows something I don't, please tell me. I'm really dreading the next time it rains around here.....I'm tired of driving the Taurus. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:46 PM   #2
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

Default Currie TSD

66fastback,

Yes, Currie does make an 8 inch TSD. I am very happy with mine. Turns without any snaping or cracking. As soon as you get on it locks both wheels. You will want the one with the added spider shafts for strength. Also, the 67 or later case which is stronger.

Mustangs & Fords did acouple of how-to articles on the 8 inch TSD in some back issues.

Lou
Old 10-13-2002, 01:56 AM   #3
sleeperstang
Registered Member

Default Currie Traction-Lok???

I'm not sure if the traction-lok diffs that Mustangs-plus sells have this torque sensing system, but I do know that they are made by Currie. I called Mustangs-Plus two weeks ago and asked who made them, and obviously, they said they were made by Currie. Might be a good idea to give them a call and see if these have the type of traction system you are looking for.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:07 AM   #4
Shaggy
Registered Member

Or depending oin what you are willing to live with i am running a mini spool in mine.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

For 660 bucks I built a 9" for my 66. I bought a 79 Granada rear end housing and 28 spline axles from a guy in Indiana (eBay), a 3.25 posi third member from New Jersey, and bought a billet steel trac-loc top cap, bearings, and posi clutches from Currie. They sent me the shims so I could delete the posi springs, preset the clutch pack drag at 140-160 lbs which makes it a TSD. When I do a burnout, first the right tire spins, then as the spider gears climb out toward the side gears it compresses the clutch pack and now my left tire begins spinning. As soon as I let out of the gas, the spider gears ease off the side gears and my left tire goes back to normal. This is what allows a TSD to provide lock under torque and allows normal differential use when cornering.

CAUTION. When cornering in the rain remember that both wheels will lock under throttle. My son was turning on to an interstate onramp, got on the gas, and did some narly squirming. You have to drive a TSD exactly as you would a Detroit Locker in the rain. If you don't know what I mean, then you have not lived an exciting life!

WORD TO THE WISE!

The best street traction device is a Currie TSD, or Auburn Cone Posi unit.

The worst street traction device is a spool which allows no differential, or a standard spring posi or ratchet style posi (Detroit Locker and PosiTrax).

The ONLY reliable traction device at a drag strip is a spool, or a good mini spool. Anything else is second rate. I had a buddy who totaled his world record Maverick when his detroit locker failed and threw the car into the guard rail. After it flipped a couple of times he and I came to the conclusion that massive torque means it is time for a SPOOL.

And that is all I have to say about that......
Old 10-14-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
FlyinBrian
Registered Member

Torsen makes a diff for the Ford 8" rear end. It would be very new because they built it for the Ranger FX4 (or the FX4 level II in MY 2003). It has a 2:1 bias ratio. The Torsen Unit is mechanically more reliable than a cone LSD and locks up better under torque. Torsen is a brand name for a TSD (TORque SENsing)

Like the poster above mentioned, if you gas through a turn you will chirp the tires as they lock up. Take it easy on the gas through turns and you will like having the unit.
FlyinBrian is offline   Reply With Quote