MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-22-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
KrivoK
Registered Member

Default After the engine rebuild????

How long can an engine that is properly rebuild with all the correct lubes and what not sit before first start up? Trying to decide which direction to go with my 66. Either go ahead and tear the car down totally now (steering;suspension) or just get the engine bay done and get it back running again.

I would assume that it could sit for a pretty good long time if there is such a thing as "crate engines"?
Old 12-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Depends I guess.

If the engine builder used a moly or any good assembly lube it should store indoors for a good while, ( Year or two.)

My concern would be the cylinder walls. Removing the plugs and spraying some WD-40 wouldn't hurt before turning it over.

If the motor has just been sitting, a rebuild or something with several miles on it. I would remove the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill. Part stores sell, or you can make a shaft to engage the pump. Also WD.

I would also use a filter screen and replace the oil after initial warm up. Checking the screen for chunks, etc.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
induction
The Brit!

DITTO!
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #4
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
Depends I guess.

If the engine builder used a moly or any good assembly lube it should store indoors for a good while, ( Year or two.)

My concern would be the cylinder walls. Removing the plugs and spraying some WD-40 wouldn't hurt before turning it over.

If the motor has just been sitting, a rebuild or something with several miles on it. I would remove the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill. Part stores sell, or you can make a shaft to engage the pump. Also WD.

I would also use a filter screen and replace the oil after initial warm up. Checking the screen for chunks, etc.
what he said, except i would squirt some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders as wd40 is a bit light.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:17 AM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Default STP

Interesting to see some old time building advice here. I used to build my engines with "STP" or "Motor Honey" as the building lube....................long ago, LOL.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote