MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
nitrostang66
Registered Member

Angry again I return for help

Since the last time I talked to guys, I have had a fun ride with many modifications not intended for a F-14 let alone a Ford. But just when every thing is about right you blow an engine. I need solid help on this since I have only done this TWICE, AAAAAHHHHHHHH. I have got half my old parts, A 1969 302 that is decent except the heads are crap. I also have a highrise manifold, 600 holley, Msd, and b&m tranny with a 2500 stahl. I don't have the information on the cam, lifters, or the pistons; Just know they are solid and were bought new in an engine package that was set for a supercharger. My headers are crap too. My question for you car gods is with $1000.00(I keep JUST putting a grand in it) what should I do. I've bought new, old and everything in between before and just want it to purr. What is the best way to go cheaply for proformence. Should I rebuid my heads, get new ones, a new header? I looked at the GT-40 heads in my Summit catalog and they looked good, but a friend said there is no headers made for it and my 66. HELP!!! I have gotten so fustrated with salesmen trying to make a profit off me I just need the cut and dry....I have even considered giving up and getting a Chevy.........well not really ....but..... you guys know how it is. Thanks for the input. Brock
nitrostang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 10:27 PM   #2
diablopony
Registered Member

The most bang for the buck performance I ever did to my car was the 3rd member swap. Switching gears felt like I'd added 80 extra hp with minimal effort. I don't know if you've already done this, but if not, give it a shot. You can go the real safe route with Currie or Mustangs Plus (about $800 - $1,000) or get one at a swap meet (about $300 - $500).

I've spent 1,000s of dollars on my motor, but the 3rd member swap was the cheapest and most fun.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:13 PM   #3
Ron1
Registered Member

You swapped more then your gear set from what I see of the price. You can buy a ring and pinion from Richmond for an 8 or 9 inch for about $189.00.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 12:44 AM   #4
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron1
You swapped more then your gear set from what I see of the price. You can buy a ring and pinion from Richmond for an 8 or 9 inch for about $189.00.

Ron
Thats probably true Ron but unless you've done a ring and pinion swap before, you better plan on getting some help because it is a little complicated the first couple times.
and Diablo is right nothing is as immediately noticable as putting some lower gears in ! But like everything else its a tradeoff ... go to low and you can get into serious driveability problems.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 01:04 AM   #5
Ron1
Registered Member

Well aware of that fact. Would probably not attempt to set the lash, unless I had watched an expert for a while. And it helps to have an air compressor and a really good vice handy. Still if you R&I the puppy yourself, the cost should not be that bad. I forgot to ask...are you already running N2O on that 66? From your "handle" it indicates that you are. If you already have a cam made for a S/C I would think the LSA on that cam would be perfect for it.

Ron

Last edited by Ron1; 10-20-2002 at 01:11 AM..
Old 10-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #6
nitro66
Registered Member

yeah, I got a 100 shot running and I am sure it did not help my heads any. Also I have thought about an 4-11 gear but have never put one in. I don't believe I have the right tools and don't want to pay 300.00 for my local shop to do it
nitro66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 10:23 PM   #7
Ron1
Registered Member

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/.../hotheads.html

I have a set of these heads in my garage, along with a set of Ford Motorsport 1.6 roller rockers.
If you are interested in a set of these, email me. They have about 4000 miles on them and came out of a Cobra Kit car. The owner stepped up to a new set of TFS heads.

ron