MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
MoreBugs
Registered Member

Default Ailing roof on a `67 Mustang...

I took my `67 `Stang with a vinyl roof (cracked, but all intact) to someone who replaces Landau tops. He took a look at it, poked it a bit, rubbed his chin...

"Well, you MAY be okay by your windows. Doesn't look so bad. But there's definately some soft spots here...maybe here...I can't do anything until you take it to a body shop and have the metal repaired. But first, you gotta strip the vinyl off."

Okay, so...I'm ready to tackle this. But I have questions:

*What should I use to get it off? I'm thinking utility knife, flat-blade scraper, heavy scissors, maybe a dust mask so I don't inhale anything nasty...

*Should I be able to pull what I can't cut out away and out of the mouldings without removing them? (mouldings are all still intact).

*I can hit the roof without putting my hand through, but there's still some bubbling. Once I get this top off, won't it immediately start rusting all to hell? I can't seem to get an estimate unless it's torn off...

*Last but not least, anyone have experiences with vinyl-topped Mustangs who can give me some pointers? Should I expect to replace the vinyl top if the roof is repaired (to hide the repairs), or is there a way I could get out of this with a painted roof, even if there are repairs? How much did it cost you to fix? And so forth.

I love this car; it's my daily driver.
MoreBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: Ailing roof on a `67 Mustang...

Rust repair is difficult and expensive. You might even have to replace the roof using one from a donor car. None of that can be determined without removing the old viinyl covering. What you won't want to do is poor repair and then hide it with new vinyl. Once the roof is repaired properly, you can decide how you want it (paint or new vinyl).

It doesn't sound like the rust is minimal or isolated from your description. I would count on major repairs here and a fair amount of $$$. Sorry for this not good news, but I believe it's true.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
MoreBugs
Registered Member

Default Re: Ailing roof on a `67 Mustang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Rust repair is difficult and expensive. You might even have to replace the roof using one from a donor car.
Thanks for the response.

Wanted to single out this one point: is this actually something people do, and does it turn out okay if done properly? Or will my windows never close again?
MoreBugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: