MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
Scappoose
Registered Member

Default Weee! Alternator fire!

And I consider myself lucky, because the thing lit up after 25 miles of my 30 mile morning commute, which is right when I pull in the babysitter's driveway. First I thought I smelled the clutch, which was odd since I just putted up the driveway. I turned it off and smoke started coming out from under the hood. I popped it, got the kids out of the car and out of harm's way, opened the hood and there was a nice little campfire on top of the alternator. And it was spreading. I ran in the house and she happened to have a fire extinguisher. After emptying the whole bottle, it was out.

Moral of the story: First, don't put off getting that fire extinguisher, like I've been doing. A quarter mile down the road I would have stood there and watched it go up in flames. Never would have put it out without an extinguisher. And second, get the new plug for the alternator if you swap it. When I replaced it 6 months ago, I had no idea it was supposed to be replaced. The guy at NAPA didn't say anything like, "Boy, you should get the new plug because it will GO UP IN FLAMES." NAPA says there is a sheet of paper in the box that absolves them of fault if the connector plug isn't replaced. I didn't see one. Why they don't just put a connector in the box and raise the price, I don't know. Ford doesn't do this either, from what the dealer told me, though they're well aware of the problem.

The worst part? Following the flatbed to the Ford dealer on the freeway, watching two dips**ts in a mid-80s Camaro BERLINETTA pointing and laughing. The insurance adjustor is coming out today. Looks like alternator, wiring, radiator hose and air conditioner hose. I've already ordered the G3 upgrade kit.

So how was your day?

69 GT - Winter Blue, 351, C-4, mild mods

69 Mach I - Acapulco Blue, 351, T-10, bone stock
Scappoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

Damn man, sorry to hear that.

Ok I am now officially paranoid about upgrading my alternator.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Quote:
Originally posted by chris91LX
Damn man, sorry to hear that.

Ok I am now officially paranoid about upgrading my alternator.
Don't be paranoid, just make sure you do it right or pay to have it done. I had a 130 amp alternator installed about a year ago and it was well worth it.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:19 PM   #4
Scappoose
Registered Member

Actually, upgrading is not a problem because you eliminate the connector that causes the problem, at least as it was explained to me.

If you change the connector in a stock replacement, should be no problem. If I'd only known...

Old 04-04-2002, 09:11 PM   #5
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your stang.

Upgrade to a PA-PERFORMANCE 3G 130AMP alt and it comes with everything you need to replace the oem connector which goes up in flames. Also make sure that you also go to 4gauge wire with 130amps as the stock wire could go up in smoke with a heavy draw.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:49 AM   #6
Scappoose
Registered Member

Mustang_289,

That's exactly what I did when I got back from the dealer. Their prices blew everyone else away and they guy I talked to was very pleasant and helpful. Just wish I'd done it sooner.

Old 04-06-2002, 03:01 AM   #7
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Moral of the story: First, don't put off getting that fire extinguisher, like I've been doing.
I have been telling myself for a while now that I need a fire extinguisher in my truck, and I just haven't got one yet...now I will. Thank you.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote