MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-04-1999, 09:55 AM   #1
red
Registered Member

Question Aluminum Radiator

I noticed that David Gagnard's car in the user rides section has a Griffin radiator and only an electric fan. Anyone else running aluminum radiators. I currently have a two row stock radiator and my car heats up pretty good when stopped (~190 F). I am wondering if the aluminum is better than a 4 row stock type radiator? The price is a anywhere from $100 to $200 more for the aluminum radiator, depending on which brand you get.

-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-1999, 11:24 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

I had a 2 row radiator and it ran hot all the time but when I even went to the three row, man what a difference. The aluminum are nice and won't corrode as easy, but if your just looking to cool it down stay with a 3 or 4 row stock style radiator.
Alot of people say the aluminum won't rust but if you run a good anti-freeze and change it every couple of years You'll be amazed on how clean it stays. The rust mainly comes from the block anyways so that blows the myth that you won't get any rust from aluminum.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-1999, 07:25 PM   #3
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

I agree with Clark Rodgers and my experience
was the same. Two row was always running hot so replaced it with a three row. All the difference in the world. I have A/C and live in Florida. No more overheating problems. Three row only costs about $150.00 delivered to your door. Aluminum is nice but probably not necessary unless you'r heavy into racing. Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out.
Lou.
Lou Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-1999, 08:22 PM   #4
David Gagnard
Registered Member

Red;

The reason I went to a Griffin is that they were the least expensive ($159.99 any size) and I ride a lot in parades and with the 350 hp 351-W it would run at 230 degrees after about 20 minutes of idling on the forth of July. Most of the parades last 40-60 minutes and that was just too much. By going with an aluminum you can get whatever size you want. Mine has a 26.5 inch wide core. I think the original one was 17 inches wide. I did enlarge the opening in the radiator support to accomodate this radiator also. I'm running an electric fan I got from a local body shop that came out of a Caddy that had one of the three mounting ears broken. They hated to throw it away just for that and saved it in case someone like me needed it. I repaired it and it works terrific. It is 17 inches in diameter. I also have a 12 inch pusher mounted in the front to help it out. Now in parades it usually doesn't get beyound 200 which I can live with. At speeds above 40 mph I do not even turn the fans on and it will run 175-180 no matter the outside temp. I only turn them on in city driving. I also run a 180 thermostat. I tried a new three core stock radiator first and it did not do well and incidently cost more than the Griffin.
PS- Hope you liked the pictures of my car.
PSS-I've been told the electric fan setup from the 95 Mustang GT's can't be beat and is really good if it will fit your radiator. The only reason I didn't use one is I couldn't find one in the junk yard.
David

[This message has been edited by David Gagnard (edited 08-04-1999).]
David Gagnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-1999, 10:56 AM   #5
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

David,
After reading your reason for the added cooling I understand why you need it. Parades in the summertime put about the most demanding conditions you can have on a cooling system. Glad you were able to get it under control.
Lou

P.S. Don't let those beauty queens punch holes in your back seat with their high heel shoes.
Lou Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
PHIL1
Registered Member

Default Re: Aluminum Radiator

My question is , where can you by an griffen alluminum radiator for $160.00?
PHIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
red
Registered Member

Default Re: Aluminum Radiator

This post was from like 10 years ago, a blast from the past.
red is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: