MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-26-2000, 01:18 PM   #1
bonehead
Registered Member

Question Another Paint Question

What is a good paint job? I have no idea what I should look for in a paint job, how many coats etc.
Obviously an Earl Schibe paint for 139.99 is not as good as a $2,000 paint job, but what should I ask for and can you over do a paint job, I mean do you get to a point where there are to many coats of paint sealer whatever?
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 03:09 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

A good paint job is one that has no runs or waves in the finished product and a deep reflection. Most of your cheap paint jobs don't pay attention to details using too much bondo, not wet sanding it enough, not removing trim parts and just trying to finish it so they can start on another. As far as paint I have seen cars with 30+ coats of paint that look incredible so I don't know if there is to many?
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 11:52 AM   #3
John Z
Registered Member

Exclamation

A good paint job starts with removing all existing paint, fixing rust dings and dents with a minimum of body filler, coating the bare metal with either an etch or epoxy primer 2 to 3 coats, next coating with 3 to 4 coats of a surfacing primer, guide coat, block sanding to find any inperfections and correcting those, then either a single stage color applied in 3 to 4 coats or a base coat clear coat (bc/cc three to four layers of each) system. The job is finished with color sanding, buffing and polishing. Of course each step with only be done with quality materials. You can expect to pay much more than $2000 for this type of job. You can see that this process will put from 8 to 15 layers of paint on the car.
If the body is solid and the existing paint is adhering well and there is a maximum of one repaint on the original paint, you can scuff and shoot with quality materials to get a reasonable job, probably in the 2k range if you remove and replace the trim.
The job should include removing trim, through wash with grease and wax remover, clean undercarriage and wheel wells to keep dirt out of the paint job. Scuffing the car with 200 to 320 grit sand paper, repair dents, primer/sealer, and top coats with color sanding and buffing.
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 01:23 PM   #4
bonehead
Registered Member

Talking

Thank you guys for all the info, hopefully it will keep me from screwing up a great 65 fastback.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: