MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-30-2002, 12:17 PM   #1
pxcr_600
Registered Member

Default Mustang Books?

Hey does anyone know for any good books that explain the engine removal of mustangs. I want to do a 4 banger conversion. Anyone know of any good books?
Old 03-30-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
Rosco
Registered Member

Well as I see it you have 2 choices on this. I know that Haynes Repair Manual should have the removal of the engine mostly piece by piece. Personally I'd suggest buying that for the removal of the engine and what-not for the 4cyl part. Also in those books they include the 5 liters as well. ALthough for $80 you can get a Helms shop manual which has basically everything you'd ever need. I'd advise buy the cheap Haynes manual to see if it has what you need. Then you could specifically buy the helms manual, as it has such things as how much trq you should put on bolts and just about everything else including testing.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 02:00 PM   #3
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Haynes makes one of the crappiest manuals I've ever seen. Those who know me, know that I TRY (usually FAIL) to do my own bolt ons, and I can tell you from experience...Haynes is fond of taking one picture of one procedure, then trying to explain it. Blow your money on a Chilton's...you'll be happier in the end.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 03:52 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I agree with Mustangbelle306 the Haynes manual sucks. About the only useful thing I've used it for is firing order and a few torque specs.

It seems like they market that book for people that have just an "ok" mechanical ability. But when you start reading it, it can get alot more confusing than it really should be.

I've learned about 1000 times more from being a member of this site than I ever could have by reading a bunch of books. What can I say, this is the best site in the world!
Old 03-31-2002, 07:47 PM   #5
Rosco
Registered Member

Honestly, the chilton or haynes aren't soo bad. They're pretty decent at telling you how to remove parts, well, at least they help you a little considering that taking stuff off isn't so hard, when you're pulling everything apart. But if you really want a great manual for the specific year of the car. I go with the $80 Helm's Shop Manual specific for my car. I actually own all 3 books, i use 2 of them to lemme know what most of the stuff i hafto remove is, considering they're written on complete tear downs, then I use my shop manual for all the specifics, testing, repairing, and putting back together. Hope it helps
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote