MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
rfisch
Registered Member

Default Any totally stock auto. 289 owners?

This is going to sound really strange but is there anyone out there that has a stock 289 (stock intake, carb., throttle linkage, kickdown linkage, etc.) that could measure the distance between the jog in the throttle linkage and the arm that sticks up off of the kickdown linkage lever that bolts to the intake manifold. Knowing this distance will allow me to determine how to correctly fabricate a new throttle rod to fit my new intake and carb (4bbl). Am I correct in assuming that the travel from idle to full open in the throttle linkage will be approx. the same regardless of the carb?
rfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

Default Re: Any totally stock auto. 289 owners?

66 coupe, 289, C4.

Well mine is not exactly stock but it has a factory 4 bbl intake and the origional kick-down linkage. The distance from the jog in the throttle rod to the upright arm is exactly 5-3/4 inches (center to center). The jog in the rod is 1 inch wide. You want the jog to contact the rod only for the last 1/2 inch of travel (full throttle). Good luck.

Lou
Old 04-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
rfisch
Registered Member

hey thanks a lot lou! thats exactly what i needed to know. it will be a lot easier making something up that is adjustable now.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

Lets see if I can post a picture.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
rfisch
Registered Member

ok, now that i can see that picture i'm not sure that we are on the same page. i just installed a rebuilt 289 with a edelbrock performer intake and 4bbl carb. the problem that i am having is that the weird shaped bracket and lever that the throttle lever contacts, that mounts on the intake, mounts at a different distance from where the throttle lever hooks up to the carb than it did originally. therefore the throttle lever length is still the same overall but the jog needs to be in a different location. the overall throttle lever travel is the same also. if i know the distance from the jog in the throttle lever to the face of the arm on the bracket that the jog comes into contact with i will be able to fabricate something reasonably close so that adjustments can be made easily if needed. sorry if this is what you have already measured for me but it just seems like 5 3/4 inches is too big. i am not at the car now to see it however so i may be mistaken.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

Well, I thought you were looking for the measurement of a totally stock auto. 289 kickdown rod from the jog back. Guess I was mistaken. If you want the measurement of the gap between the jog and the upright lever, that distance is constantly changing depending on throttle position. That measurement on mine is 1-3/8 inches at the idle position. However, the Holley is not stock and the carb linkage movement could be different than the origional Autolite. Hope some of this will help you fab what you need.

Lou
Old 04-23-2005, 06:01 AM   #7
COORS
Registered Member

i got your same set up rfisch (edelbrock carb and intake) you shouldnt need any brackets on the intake it should look just like that picture. http://store.cal-mustang.com/cm_able...TID=19&CM_SA=0
for under 20 bucks ya can save alot of hassle
COORS is offline   Reply With Quote