MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Anybody have ideas for a master cylinder?

I will possibly be picking up an 8.8inch rear out of a 01' explorer later this week. It has factory disc brakes. What I'm wondering is if there are any recommendations out there for a master cylinder.

I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but if I have to I will. I'm not sure if I want to keep with manual brakes or go to power, it really depends the room left over after I get my motor mounted (Installed a Mustang II front suspension, haven't installed the motor yet) Looking at the master cylinders from explorers, it appears they have the same bolt pattern as my 65'.

I don't have a problem fabricating brackets, chopping or cutting, but if I can I'd rather not. Let me know any ideas, thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
goodyear1984
Registered Member

Default Re: Anybody have ideas for a master cylinder?

have u looked at a master cyl and booster from a fox body there not that big and u will be able to stopp.i rember the man brakes i had them on my galaxie they worked good for man but i had to adj them alot
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

I'll give them a look! I measured my calipers and my fronts are 3" pistons and my rears are 2.25". (It appeared anyway, quick measurements with a tape measure)

I bought a brake book which goes into what it takes to figure out proper MC size. It's High-Performance Brake Systems if your wondering. I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through it but so far its a great book.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
goodyear1984
Registered Member

i bet any thing the explorer has a bigger master cyl,but u prolly be fine with the fox master.gotta love customizing
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear1984 View Post
i bet any thing the explorer has a bigger master cyl,but u prolly be fine with the fox master.gotta love customizing
Haha, yup. I think I'll just pick up an aftermarket manual disc/disc MC and see how it works out! I bought a book that goes through on how to measure brake pressure depending on all the variables. Lots of math to do! (Oops, just noticed I mentioned it up above, sorry bout that. School has been keeping me too busy lately!)
Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

figure this out?

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
bmxmon
Registered Member

Nope, though I've been putting a bunch of time into figuring out my fuel system. I also chopped out the quarter panels to find I also needed new fall off panels (or whatever they are called) and outer wheel wells.

I've now had all the parts laying around for months, just need to find the time. I'm in my last semester of college, so between that and work I haven't had much time for my Mustang. Other than all the sheet metal I have tons of other parts laying around, again, just needing the time. (Rear end, fuel system, engine, transmission)

The last thing I did was coat the floor pans with truck bed liner, though that was about a month ago now. I plan on taking a week off of work after I graduate just to work on my car.

How have things been going for you?

Last edited by bmxmon; 04-21-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: clarifying a sentence.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I am good. I have got married and bought a house, so I have not been the little posting guru I use to be on here. Just got the car out of storage for the year, but no plans to upgrade much this year.

My car has a master cylinder out of a ford t bird (?) and the booster out of a mustang 4 cylinder (?). I want to say if I had rear disk brakes there was an easy option with this setup to handle that.

Anyhow, it fits nicely with little modifications. I will have to find the paperwork I printed off for it to find the website article for you, I have no idea where I found that back in the day.

good to hear you are still wrenching on the Mustang!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
rwhite65
Ride Hard

ok, I can't find the link anywhere for this, but I have the printed article from a guy off the internet that did this swap. I did it using his article and it was dead on.

If you are interested, I will scan it up and post for you.

You can also see a pic here. http://forums.mustangworks.com/f10/d...mustang-48255/

It uses a booster for a 87 2.3 mustang (or similar year) and a master cylinder from 87 Lincoln MarkVII LSC

Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
bmxmon
Registered Member

That would be sweet if you would post it! I do have a dual master cylinder in the car currently, but no power brakes. Might be worth while to switch to.

I'm going to head to the Junk yard tomorrow, might have to dig around for some Ford cars with front/rear disc brakes. I think ford was using the same bolt pattern for a long, long time. If not I can fab up a bracket anyway