MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
jim holth
Registered Member

Default transmisions

I have a 68 with an auto tranny and would like to put in a manuel.Is it hard to switch?
jim holth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Are you looking to put a "period" transmission (ie 4 speed) in or a late model like a t-5? Either way you'll need the clutch pedal and all assorted hardware that goes with it.
I would imagine doing an older tranny would be easier, since the car was built to fit it,but youre still going to have to add the pedal and associated stuff, change from a flexplate to a flywheel, change the crossmember, and probibly lots of other stuff I'm forgetting.

If youre interested in adding a late model transmission, there is all of the above involved, and possibly having to shorten the driveshaft etc.

Somewhere down the road, I'm planning on doing the late model swap, there are conversion kits made by several companys to swap in a t-5 or tko into a classic stang.
I had these in my favs, there are plenty of sites out there with info for this swap.
This one has several other pages linked with swap info as well
http://users.ev1.net/~gbuzek/t5install.htm
This company specalizes in swapping in late model trannies and engines
http://www.windsorfox.com/

The biggest thing to remember is plan ahead, and gather ALL the info you can, that way you minimize the "oh crap, what now?" factor

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
jim holth
Registered Member

Default transmissions

Thanks for the info. I guess i should have gave you more info. I would like to just put a regular Ford 4 speed tranny in. Nothing special. How hard is it to get the clutch pedal set up in the car? Do I have to put a smaller brake pedal in? I guess these are my main worrys.
jim holth is offline   Reply With Quote