MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Justin 66GT
Registered Member

Default AOD --> Toploader

Hello,

I am researching what it would take to convert from an AOD to a Toploader. My car is a 66 Mustang. The current driveline is a 408ci Windsor motor (stroked 351W), AOD transmission with a 3k stall, and 9" rear end with a 3.25 gear ratio.

The car originally had a 289 and Cruise-O-Matic, which I sold when I upgraded to the new engine and transmission. Originally I thought I'd have an easier and less expensive time sticking with an automatic. Unfortunately I've had nothing but problems with it, including blowing up overdrive during a WOT shift (dumb move, I know). Rather than fix it I removed the 4.11s and have been living with a 3 speed slushbox and the 3.25s for some decent highway manners. I'm ready to fix it for good.

With the gear ratio I'm running now, I'm not scared to run a non-overdriven transmission any more. Plus I think the Toploader is more nostalgic and suited for a car from the 60's, and could handle the torque I'm making as well as (if not better than) a mega-buck Tremec 5 or 6 speed. Finally, I've got a little bit of cash to play with, so I'm trying to figure out my options. I know it's do-able but am trying to pin down the finer details of the conversion. Namely:

What exactly is the torque rating of a Toploader? I'm assuming I'd want to use a wide ratio one with the 2.78 first gear.
What to do about the clutch and brake pedals? I still have the original manual brakes with the single-reservoir master cylinder.
Would I use a 157 or 164 tooth flywheel? The AOD uses a 164 tooth flexplate, and I hope I can re-use my existing starter. It's the newer small diameter, high torque style.
What type of clutch and throw out bearing would you recommend? It sees pretty much equal time on the street and at the drag strip.
Can I use my existing speedo cable and driven gear?
Would the driveshaft have to be modified? It's got 28 splines so I should be ok there, but I'm unsure about the length differences.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

Justin
Justin 66GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: AOD --> Toploader

The toploader was good and very strong. They had two versions, I think. One had a larger input shaft. 428, 427, etc. The other smaller one was for the 289, etc. They should hold the 408 power.

Starters, Ford only makes one starter for the small engines. It will work.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Justin 66GT
Registered Member

Default Re: AOD --> Toploader

Thanks for the reply!

I've read a bit about the differences between SB and BB toploaders. Seems the BB ones have a bigger and shorter input shaft, and a cast iron case. There are companies that will put a SB input shaft on a BB tranny to make it fit my application, but what I still haven't found is actual torque ratings for both. I'd like to say the SB version would be fine, but might try to get a converted one for the extra insurance.

Justin
Justin 66GT is offline   Reply With Quote