MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
daccrow86
Registered Member

Default atomatic to standard conersion

i have a straight six 66" mustang the engine is out of a 65" mustang i need to know in detail (because i am planning on doing it myself) what all i need to do and buy to switch from an automatic transmission to a standard trasmission. My father has helped me get my car running and on the road but when i asked him to help me make the conversion he just walked off and said "good luck" Apparently it is a major job and i need as much help i can get.

Thanks
daccrow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
amartin725
Registered Member

99% of it is just bolt-on. You say the engine is out of a '65? Chances are it's a C5 and earlier 200. That limits you to the 8 1/2" recessed-style flywheel and smaller bellhousing choices. If you are planning to do clutch dumps to spin tires and such, you want a stronger tranny. Either a V8 3-spd, 4-spd or T-5. You'll need an adapter to get any of those trannies behind it.

In addition to the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, t-out bearing, clutch fork, block plate, bellhousing, etc.. you'll also need the z-bar clutch linkage, clutch pedal push rod, clutch pedal assy and new brake pedal. If you want to use the V8 3-spd or 4-spd, then you can use your existing driveshaft. If you want to do a T-5, then you'll need to shorten your driveshaft by an inch.

There is plenty more info including tranny swaps and adapters on my page:

www.inlinepages.com

However, check out Doug's page:

www.inlinepages.com/inlinefever

Here's his car in stock 200 form w/ a C4 doing incredible burnouts

Al
amartin725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
red
Registered Member

check out http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ap/index.shtml
red is offline   Reply With Quote