MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
wantapony2001
Registered Member

Question Buying a Manual Vs. Auto....

i am very interested in buying a 2001 gt , ill be honest....i cant drive stick, i want a stick tho because ive never owned one and its a bit cheaper, how long will it take to learn a manual trans real good as opposed to just buying the auto, and what is the speed/power diferences in the two, any info will be appreciated
wantapony2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:50 PM   #2
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

It really depends on alot of factors. Don't just buy a manual because you are worried about other people. The auto is stronger from the factory and with mods can be made 2-3 times stronger than the T-45. If you are planning on serious mods in the future, the auto will hold up better. I must admit that it is fun driving a manual. It's also fun spanking someone and changing a CD or holding a girls hand at the same time. I can't tell you which one to pick because it's your money. I will say that the 4R70W currently used is the best auto Ford has put in the mustang. I completely built mine and it shifts awesome. Oh, and the fastest documented Street driven 2Vs are autos.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:05 AM   #3
wantapony2001
Registered Member

thanks for the reply, i am still undecided on which to buy, but i feel for some reason if i do buy an auto i will regret it and want a manual, then on the other hand if i buy an auto i might regret not getting the manual, i am very confused, but thanks for the info...anyone else have anything to say??
wantapony2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:16 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

I totally agree with Turbo. The auto is also more consistent. You won't miss shifts with it. With the 5-speed, though fun to drive, you also run the risk of inconsistency. You don't have to power shift an auto. Granted you have a little bit more parasitic hp/torque lost with the auto but throw in a shift kit and even a better torque converter and you'll waste 5-speed drivers all day/night long (especially if they miss a shift). Plus you can eat and drive at the same time . You don't have to worry about breaking a shift fork, gear, or synchronizer in the auto like the 5-speed. Though if you want a real good standard tranny you could always drop in a T56 6-speed.

As far as learning how to drive the 5-speed it's very easy. For basic driving duties you'll get the hang of it in a day or so tops. As for racing it takes some practice. If you do get one get a better shifter, for example the Steeda Tri-Ax. The stock shifter sucks. As well as I think the the T45 5-speed sucks, too. Just my experiences with it.

You know, all Lightnings are auto .
Old 01-11-2002, 05:32 PM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Personally for me I will always buy a manual tranny (in a sports car). Ya, you'll never miss a shift in an auto, but shifting IS one of the more fun aspects of driving a car (to me). Plus I love the control I have with a 5 speed. I can keep the car in a lower gear to make sure I'm under the speed limit , and if you ever drive your car in slippery conditions (snow, ice or freezing rain) a manual is better. I know because I've driven in some of the harshest Canadian Winters.

But the choice is yours. One thing I do dislike is being in traffic with a manual. Always on the clutch because your going too slow to be in first, but too fast to roll. If you drive in that situation a lot get an auto.

My wife learned to drive a manual in a couple days. In fact with in 2 weeks you could almost not tell she had never driven a manual transmission before!

Choose what you want, just pick something that fits your driving style and don't be afraid about learning to drive a stick!

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 07:56 PM   #6
98 NosStang
Registered Member

Default i love stick, but went auto and putting a whoopin

man, i went automatic, but i have only always owned manual..i thought it wouldnt be as fun, but if you wana simulate manual, you can go through the gears when you race, only downfall no clutching and down shifting, but man it feels good when you got power in the car and you feel the torque when you kick in to gear, manual feels better with torque wise, but hey my numbers have been damn immpressive to me considering i own a heavy convertible.
1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L /Convertible, Automatic. Flowmasters, JBA shorty headers chrome, X-Pipes custom made, 3.73 Gears FMS, 70MM fms T-BODY, VORTECH SQ-TRIM V2 supercharger (6 lbs), HKS SSQ Blow off valve, Aluminum custom made inlet pipe(gives 1lb. more of boost), 2000 Gt PI heads and cams Machine shop worked, 2000 gt intake manifold , W/BBK Filter, FMS 30 lbs fuel injectors, DIABLO sport chip, PRO-M 80mm, 6:1 FMU VORTECH, BBK Fuel Pump 255 lph, Excel 400 secondary fuel pump, 4-Point HOOKER HEADERS chrome roll bar, NEX Racing bucket seats(19 LBS PER SEAT), 5-Point harnesses, JE CERAMIC FORGED PISTONS & RINGS, MANLEY RODS, Srp pins, and The block was honed and worked in a machine shop, Mark Luton Racing Rear seat delete kit., Cobra Cowl 4" Hood, Saleen S351 wing, TYC tail lights...
98 NosStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:36 PM   #7
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

Default Been there before....

Hey wantapony2001,
I got my 98Cobra July 3, 2001 - first Mustang, first manual. I had an idea of how to drive a stick, but hadn't had any driving experience. Let me tell you, you'll be fine! It's really nothing to learn, and here I am, six months into my Cobra, and I shift with the best of them . I even did surprisingly well on my first 1/4 mile passes in November.

Good Luck!
Mandy
Old 01-18-2002, 01:16 PM   #8
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Default It's about time!!!

I am so glad to finally hear other people say that about an Auto. I am so tired of people with sticks instantly assuming they can beat me cause I have an auto-trans. I have beaten several sticks, some because they can't drive them, others because of the lag between them shifting and using clutch. I personally love my auto, like it was mentioned earlier,,, I raced a guy with a drink in my hand.. kinda funny to see the reaction on his face when I won holding a cup :-> Anyways, I digress... It's just finally a relief that there are people out there that agree that an Auto can compete just as well as a Stick, and that Autos are in the fastest cars that drag.. street or strip...
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:28 PM   #9
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Well I agree with VNAMUS in VA.

Learning won't be hard but it would help a lot if you have something to practice on first.

As for auto vs manual, it isn't a mature argument. Autos have their adv and dis adv. Just like manual trannys.

Consider the drive, heavy traffic? Definately an auto.
I wanted one a lot in Miami.

Both are great. As mentioned before an auto can be made to be as sporty as you want.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote