MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-29-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Devine65GT
Registered Member

Default BAAAAD Vibration!!

Ok guys, i got a question. my 65 started to vibrate pretty bad. well first it had a squeeling sound from the rear but that just up and stopped, then i had a clicking noise that would come and go. i checked everything greased everything i could. then i started to get a bad vibration with a loud hum type sound. i figured maybe u-joints. so i just changed them out today. took it for a test run and vibration is still their. same as before. does it at most speeds over 20mph the faster i go the worse it gets. any ideas?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: BAAAAD Vibration!!

I'd check the u joints. I think you'll find the problem there.

Dave

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

maybe the axle bearings????
Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Devine65GT
Registered Member

ok i got some new info, i took the car back out drove it till it started vibrating put the car in neutral still vibrates so i droped it down to drive still vibrating. then back to overdrive still getting the vibration.
matt
Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
Devine65GT
Registered Member

ok some more info. i thought maybe i had a bad tire or a bent wheel so i jacked up the car and started turning the wheels tire looks good and rim is fine. nothing wrong their. so i thought well a shock would make it vibrate so i checked the shocks, all is good now to the suspention the tie rods are a little loose probably needs replaced but cant see how they would make that much of a vibration a little shimmy yes but i dont know about that much vibration. was wondering if wheel barrings would do this kinda thing?
id be thankfull for any kind of help
matt
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

If it vibrates at any RPM then its somewhere in the drivetrain and not the engine. Meaning, anything from the motor/tranny mounts to the tires and everything in between.

Throwing it neutral narrowed it a little more for you. Id rotate the tires and leave off the caps. See what happens.

The long humming noise is usually in the tires or brake drums. I overlook drums alot for causing vibration. Especially if you have 4 drums.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Any noise when you spin the tires as they are up on stands?

Bad tie rods can cause a tremendous vibration, especially above 35 MPH, but they won't be noisy.

Bad wheel balancing usually will show up around 50 MPH... Unless, of course, you have a bent rim... again, however, they won't have much noise associated with them.

One other possibility... not really a fun one... is that you are losing your rear gears. That would cause all of the above.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
Devine65GT
Registered Member

thanks for all the help guys. it was in the driveline i put the car on stands and looked at the drive shaft. welp their lies the problem.. i bent it some how. again thanks for all the help.
matt