MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
spuckie
Registered Member

Angry Help! Backfiring and loss of power

Looking for any insight help someone can offer...sorry about the length

I have an 88 LX Conv 5.0 automatic that's I've had for 2 years...

Car started backfiring a month ago. Took it in thinking a tuneup would fix it. Took it to a friend of mine who owns a shop (he's driven mustangs for about 10 years, so I figured he was a good choice) and he tuned it up and said it was driving great. Couple of days later, it starts backfiring again. This would happen usually around 50mph when I tried to take off. Took it back in and he made some adjustments and said, once again, it was fine. Couple of days later, same thing. Now it seems worse. Backfiring at all speeds when I try to go faster. It was at this point that I'd have to enter a highway at a slow speed and letting it build up instead of taking off. I was in a mustang driving like an old man.

Gave it back to him again. He made some adjustments yet again and told me it wasn't shifting properly. He says he brought it to a tranny guy he knows and they went over it. He also tells me that I'm gonna need a tranny sooner or later.

I've now had the car back for a week. Overdrive slips like crazy. So much that I hardly use it. I couldn't go over 65 on the highway yesterday afternoon. Last night, it seemed like 55 was the limit. It also seems to shift from 1st to 3rd. If I manually shift it, it will go into 2, but only if I delay shifting it. Also, after building up speed a bit (to about 35-40), if I give a good push to the gas pedal, the car does nothing...no backfire...no engine revving...nothing! I'm wondering where the gas is going if I do this. I've held it like this for up to five seconds and no increase in power or backfire.

The car is also backfiring like mad still!

My mechanic...my all knowing mustang mechanic...says it's got to be related to the transmission. That because the car is not shifting correctly, it's causing all the other problems.

My main concern is investing the money in getting another transmission, only to get it back and have it still backfire on me or have this total lack of power.

I don't really know what to do.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this or heard of it??

Please reply here, or if you'd like, you can email me at jspag71@aol.com.

Once again, sorry for the length, but I'm at my wits end!
spuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Post this over in the windsor power forum and you will get more responses. I am sure if mod sees it here, they will move it for you.

Is the car actually backfiring, or just making a popping sound? Mine used to "pop" throught he exhaust, but it wasn't as loud as a backfire. Turned out I had a bad fuel injector that was causing the problem. I don't know if that helps you or not, but that was the case with mine. I am not sure if the tranny is related or not. I guess it could be if it is a vacuum problem . I dunno.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote