MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
SCHOONER
Registered Member

Cool Ground To Earth ? ? ?

HI EVERYONE

PROBLEM: I NEED TO FIND A LOCATION TO GROUND THE FIREWALL.
JUST WHERE AND HOW THE HECK DO I DO THAT ?

YES, I CAN GET A BATTERY CALBE OR SOMETHING SUITABLE TO GROUND WITH. YES, I CAN DRILL AND BURNISH THE AREA WHERE THE GROUND FROM THE ENGINE TO THE FIREWALL GOES.

BUT JUST WHERE DO I PLUG INTO THE ENGINE OR FRAME ?

THE FIREWALL IS EASY; JUST BURNISH AND DRILL AND PLACE A MEDIUM SIZE SHEEP METAL SCREW AND I'M IN BUSSINESS.

NEED ALL YOU SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU GUYS/GAL

SCHOONER
SCHOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: Ground To Earth ? ? ?

You shouldn't have to drill anything... that hole should already be there. For that matter, so should the bolt. It will be a 3/8" head with a shoulder.

As far as where the wire connects to on the engine, you will need to take a bolt out of the bellhousing to engine. Slide round ended connector over the bolt and put the bolt back in and tighten it.

Make sure the connector has some meat on it so you don't break it as you torque the bolt.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
SCHOONER
Registered Member

Hi Phillyfanfrombirth

Philly, I'm new at all this engine fixin' at the age of 65 I'm coming along ~ so please bear with me.

When you say " . . . the hole should already be there."
PHIL, WHERE ?
Maybe this will help you to HELP ME ~ MY car is '66 with a V8,
289 engine.

When you say ' BELLHOUSING' is it where the tranny is

Philly, please be patient with me. I'm trying to jam years of not that much experience with cars. I was too busy fighting in the ring and in the bars as I got older. Should have kept my head under the hood
instead of duckin' punches.

O.K. Phil that's it for now I'll wait for you to take me to school on this dorn GROUNDING THING.

THANKS AGAIN PHIL
GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

SCHOONER
SCHOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

No problem...

There should be a hole in the firewall that already has a 3/8" headed screw in it. There might even be a few of them... Now, you won't be able to see the hole, of course, as the bolt head will be all you will see.

The bellhousing is the front most part of the transmission that bolts to the engine... If you were to take it off and turn the front side down, it would look like a bell. If you strike it with a wrench while it is facing down, it would sound like a bell...

Here is a good pic of one:

The ground strap should be connected to one of the bolts that runs through this bellhousing to the engine. It will be on the passenger side at about 10 o'clock facing the front of the vehicle...
Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Here's a great shot of a perfect firewall... wish mine looked like that... anyway, look for the 3/8 hex headed screw to the right of the hole (looking at the picture) that houses the blower motor, which is the big hole on the passenger side of the vehicle.