MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2001, 03:02 PM   #1
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Unhappy I HATE VIBRATIONS

I just picked up the Lincoln Yesterday and drove it from Orlando to Tallahassee. I already knew about it but it has a set of vibrations I'm trying to figure out. I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has had similar experiences.
This is an 87 lincoln Continental by the way. Well I get a shake in several areas. First I think if I do a constant of 20 mph it shakes like maybe a wheel is bent or somethin. Then right when I hit 45ish up to 50ish I get a pretty good amount of steeringwheel shake. Then if I go over 65 it starts up again and gets a little harder the faster.
I'm thinking of switching the two front wheels to the back and see if it changes anything but I am thinking it needs possibly/balancing/alignment and maybe a new wheels if it turns out to be the culprit.

------------------
Rob meister
89 Mercedes 190E 2.6
87 Lincoln Continental
Ex 86 Mercury Cougar
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 04:07 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Wheels and out of balance tires are the first place to look for 'bad vibrations'.
Loose front end pieces are another culprit and the driveshaft often is a 'hidden' source of vibrations.

Start with the wheel and tire balance and go from there.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 11:02 PM   #3
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Question

Well little while after I made the post I went to Walmart and had em balance my wheels. I talked to the guy that was doin it and the last wheel he put on the machine acted funny. He said it looked like the wheel was the problem according to the readings and it need a large weight. So we put that wheel on the rear of the car and now the shake is different. Instead of being so much in the steering wheel, now its in my seat. Now I need to find a place that would have athe rim for an 87 Continental. Of course this town only has like 1 junkyard that is who knows where. Anyone know of a good internet site?

------------------
Rob meister
89 Mercedes 190E 2.6
87 Lincoln Continental
Ex 86 Mercury Cougar
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote