View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #14
Rev
Registered Member

Default What I did

These cars are negative ground. If there is a current between the + battery cable and the + battery terminal as detected by a test light with the cable removed from the battery (engine off, ignition off, doors closed), then there is a short somewhere (that's with the ignition off and the doors closed).

What I did after dectecting the short was to check each wire that goes to the starter relay that the
+cable goes to. Check these wires one at a time with them all disconnected from the starter relay using the test light to see which wire leads to the short (use the test light between the wire and starter relay terminal). The one that lights it up tells you which area the short is in. Mine was in an aftermarket relay to the auxillary electric fan.

Yours could be in any circuit, but you'll know which one by which wire lights the test light. After determining which circuit, youl'll need to follow up the branches of that circuit to find the actual short. There should likely be a frayed or burnt wire somewhere. When you find it, consider making sure there is a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere in that circuit.

I hope I am making sense here.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote