MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
skiwesser
Registered Member

Question Help! vibration problem!!

Ok, I've got a slight vibration somewhere that occurs in any gear

at between 2200-3000 RPM. It is loudest in 4th but you can hear

it in 3rd & 5th, you can also hear it in nuetral upon deceleration,

only for a few seconds (when whatever is wrong is at proper rpm?)
My T-5 doesn't have many miles on it and is smooth as silk, rear end set up by a great meachanic (not long ago), U-joints are OK, so i doubt those as culprits?

Also it doesn't do it setting still in neutral i.e not in motor right?

any help appreciated!!!!
88 GT: subs,pullies, 1 3/4 longtubes, flowmasters, AFR 165's,T,F #1 cam,Thyphoon intake, 24# inj., 73mm C&L,65mmT.B., 190LPH pump, Eagle sir rods, forged pistons in a newly rebuilt 306.

DYNO TUNED TO 300.97 RWHP 337RWTQ
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
PKRWUD

If it occurs at a specific rpm, in all gears, it has to be a problem somewhere between the fan belt and the tranny input shaft. From your description, I'd put my money on a problem with the clutch, possibly the springs.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

Perhaps exhaust resonance....

I heard stories of the sn-95's having rattling/vibration using certain h-pipes so it's possible that you might have a similar issue. If it's a jarring, it might not be but you mentioned that there is no vibration in neutral and this is when there is no load and less pulse pressure to cause vibration.

Maybe I'm just rambling =P
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:12 AM   #4
skiwesser
Registered Member

QUOTE]If it occurs at a specific rpm, in all gears, it has to be a problem somewhere between the fan belt and the tranny input shaft. From your description, I'd put my money on a problem with the clutch, possibly the springs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks PKRWUD, I was hoping you, unit , workcar or one of you gurus would read this.

Matter of fact I did replace fan clutch no help.
Could be clutch I wouldn't know?
Agian, it doesn't do it while not moving (reving motor) but it will
upon deceleration in neutral.
Could that still be clutch?
Mabye input shaft?
Since I got gears the driveshaft vibrates some at high speed, but this just developed recently?
I HATE IT!!
P.S. Definently not resonance
Thanks guys!
Quote:
If it occurs at a specific rpm, in all gears, it has to be a problem somewhere between the fan belt and the tranny input shaft. From your description, I'd put my money on a problem with the clutch, possibly the springs.
88 GT: subs,pullies, 1 3/4 longtubes, flowmasters, AFR 165's,T,F #1 cam,Thyphoon intake, 24# inj., 73mm C&L,65mmT.B., 190LPH pump, Eagle sir rods, forged pistons in a newly rebuilt 306.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
PKRWUD

What happens to the vibration when you push in the clutch pedal ?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
canukracer
Registered Member

check the pinion yoke for movement ,possible the nut backed off shit happens sometimes.
canukracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
skiwesser
Registered Member

PKRWUD- Ok if i'm going along in 4th and I get it in the rpm range
where it vibrates and press clutch it stops, but there is such a small "window" of rpm where it vibes that i can't tell if clutch engagement stops it or if it falls out of rpm simultaneously?
like I stated it will do it in nuetral upon decel.
thanks dude

canukracer-I didn't check yoke on rear I will- Thanks

Old 05-05-2004, 03:56 AM   #8
HISSIN50
Registered Member

often when gears are installed, they exacerbate driveshaft vibrations.
also, the driveshafts are dynamically balanced from the factory. when someone had the DS off at some point, if they did not mark its relationship to the pumpkin flange, it can be out of balance. they also get out of balance after 15 years of being beaten on (or they get twisted).

many folks have had vibs after gears, and an aluminum DS takes care of it.
im not saying this is your problem, but want to toss out a viable culprit.

good luck.
HISSIN50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
skiwesser
Registered Member

Thanks, but, I don't think it is the D.S. because I've had gears for a couple of years & this prob just started (i guess it could be though).
When I put rearend back in after gear swap i had it off & it vibrated bad at speed ,rotated it 90* and it got much better but still vibes at say 90mph on up

Old 05-11-2004, 12:55 AM   #10
skiwesser
Registered Member

Ok ,today I was driving in 4th, where it's loudest, and it did quit when i mashed clutch.
I was thinking if it did it in neutral it shouldn't be clutch, but in neutral clutch is still engaged right?

This is driving me nuts!! HELP!!
Clutch doesn't have many miles on it (stock replacment) I guess that's niether here nor there

Old 05-11-2004, 10:18 AM   #11
crazypete
Registered Member

In neutral (as the neutral position on the trans and the clutch is engaged), yes you still have the transmission engaged since the input shaft has to spin since it's splined into the cclutch disc and when you let off the clutch pedal, the disc gets pinched in there and has to spin.

Check the input shaft retainer..... if thats broken...and they do so fairly regularly, you might get some wicked vibration. Eventually, your car will sound like it's always going in reverse (very cool! Everyone thought I had a supercharger!) and then your transmission will eventually seize when the shaft goes offcenter.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:32 AM   #12
punter
Registered Member

Ya, check out the clutch but if you don't have any joy I would suspect the drive shaft, even with new UJ's the shaft can still be out of balance. Get it balanced, it's cheap and it also eliminates it from the problem.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:00 AM   #13
skiwesser
Registered Member

I can't see it being the d. shaft because it vibrates at between 2200-2600RPM in EVERY gear and the shaft is not spinning the same speed at that RPM in every gear.

Today I got it to vibrate good in 4th going down a hill, so I was not on the gas and when I pressed the clutch it stopped and I let it out just in time where it was still vibing for a second, agian it doesn't do it while just revving motor so I guess that puts it in the clutch or trans?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #14
RS_8007
Registered Member

IF it is the drive shaft & I get an aluminum one will it solve the prob?
Are they balanced or does it have somthing to do with it being aluminum?
The guy who put in my gears (THE FORD MAN AROND HERE!!),recently told me he went through 3 stock shafts b-4 an aluminum one cured his vibration.
But I don't want to spend that money unless I'm pretty convident it will fix the vibration.

any input??

Some kind of error here I'm SKIWESSER, not RS_8007 ??
I don't know what happened?
RS_8007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:41 AM   #15
gmhatr
Registered Member

Check the surface on your yolk. I had that same problem and I Had a couple of groves in mine. Ruined my T-5 eventually. Got a new tranny and driveshaft problem solved. Didn't find out about the driveshaft until tranny went out. Check it out could save you some money.
gmhatr is offline   Reply With Quote