MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-19-2000, 11:24 AM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool Beefy brakes

Well, I won't be doing anything until after winter on my 66 but I thought i'd start planning ahead a bit. I hear all the time about upgrading to disc brakes or adding power boosters to V8s, but what needs to be done for the straight six's? If I went with disc brakes, are there kits for the six's? Do I forget about disc all together and just go with a booster? I don't know much about brakes so any input would be helpful. The car is a daily driver so i'm just looking for safer stopping power. Thanks guys.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator, Firestone Firehawk 215/60R14's

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper, Borla Side exhaust,
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico struts/ shocks, BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50 16's
Next up: 3:73's, high flow H-Pipe

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2000, 12:59 PM   #2
tom351

Hey I put disc brakes on my 67 fastback recently. I used a kit from Stainless Steel Brakes. The car stops well without a booster, but I would prefer to convert them to power also. The best thing about the new disc brakes is that the car stops totally straight now. The drum brakes pulled the car everywhere.
Old 10-21-2000, 09:28 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Hey, I'll second tom351's comment about stopping straight. I struggled for 2-3 yrs. trying to get my '66 to stop straight. New front end suspension, new drum brakes (all components), multiple attempts at allignment. No luck. Still pulled all over the place. New front disks kit (Granada) from Jim's Mustang in Ca. and all worked well. No more pulling side to side. Stops on a dime and stops straight. $650 to my door in Houston. Only thing I had to do extra was bend a short line for te proportioning valve and make a stop fixture for the brake pedal arm. With the components supplied , the brake rod from the lever to the master cylinder could become dis-articulated if anyone pulled backwards on the brake pedal. I fixed this by making a backwards stop for the pedal arm attatched to the steering column. Mine works perfectly and for $650.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 09:45 AM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I thought since I have a six cylinder with a four lug pattern that they didn't make kits for me. I'll try finding Stainless Steel Brakes on the net and see what they have. I always like to make this my first stop, though, as it always kind of points me in the right direction. Any other input is appreciated but thanks nonetheless.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator, Firestone Firehawk 215/60R14's

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper, Borla Side exhaust,
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico struts/ shocks, BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50 16's
Next up: 3:73's, high flow H-Pipe

Old 10-23-2000, 12:44 PM   #5
tom351

Talking

I know that mustangs unlimited carries a ssb drum to disc conversion kit for 6 cyl. Their phone # is 860-647-1965.
Old 10-28-2000, 10:31 AM   #6
66fastback
Registered Member

In case anyone wants to check it out, the web page for Stainless Steel Brakes is www.ssbrakes.com

I know this is a little late, but I couldn't help it since I have a magazine open right in front of me.....with a picture of their Force 10 high performance calipers. Available in 11,12,and 13" rotors, slotted if you like.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2000, 04:16 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Cost? I'll bet it's alot.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2000, 12:05 PM   #8
66fastback
Registered Member

Sure the brakes are expensive, but sometimes its worthwhile. I bet most people don't ever consider improving their brakes, but will spend serious $$$ on speed parts. All go-no whoa.

I think the basic SSBrakes kit runs about 700-800 bucks, which is a fair price for a complete kit and all new parts. They do offer upgrades, and I'm sure you pay well for them.

There are cheaper alternatives....I put on the Granada brakes for about $250. I went to the wrecking yard and found a good donor car. I think they only charged me like $80 for both sets...I got spindles, rotors, calipers, tie-rod ends,shields and all, and a lot of grease for free. Turn the drums, new pads, brake lines, master cylinder, etc. The car stops well, but I'm looking for better now. I'm planning on more power and maybe some road racing, and some 13" discs sound awfully good.

To address the issue of improving four lug stopping power, I've seen very little over the years, I believe most people convert their cars over to five lugs. I know that sounds dramatic, but maybe SSBrakes offers a four lug kit.
------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

[This message has been edited by 66fastback (edited 10-29-2000).]
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2000, 08:20 PM   #9
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I was away for the weekend so thanks again for all the additional info. I don't have my heart set on keeping the four lug pattern - I just thought that was something you had to change when swapping a six for a 289 or other V8. If switching over to the five lugs is the only way I can upgrade the brakes then that's what i'll do. Cost isn't really an issue because the old drums don't like the rigors of daily driving. Thanks for posting the website, i'll visit them and see what's up.

Thanks,

Stefan