MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-25-2000, 11:46 PM   #1
Madcow6993
Registered Member

Post Beginners Question

First of All I don't know a lot about cars and am interested in learning about them mainly mustangs any help would be appreciated. One question would be why should I pick a certain mustang over another these may sound dumb but they are something I would like to know
Madcow6993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 01:30 PM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

Which car you pick is a matter of personal taste. The earlier cars seem to be easier to get parts for, but all 65-70 models have a great aftermarket parts support. Less so the 71-73 cars.

The 65-66 cars also have a smaller engine compartment, and even putting a 351 in can be a little tight. It fits though.

The 67 cars and up have a much larger engine bay, and can also be had with more comforts. A/C became an in-dash option, and disc brakes are found much more on the later cars--as well as a dual master cylinder. In general, the earlier the car the more basic it is likely to be, and the later the car, the more comfort features you will find, as well as more safety features.

This makes the earlier cars lighter and more responsive, but the later ride a little better.

Look at all the models and get the one that grabs you the most.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 01:40 PM   #3
Michelle Page
Registered Member

Hello Madcow6993, and welcome to the wonderful world of Mustangs!

There are sooo many kinds of mustangs it's hard to say which one you should pick over another. It's a matter of your prefrence. There is everything from grocery getters to all out performance cars.

If you aren't too familiar with cars and want to work on them yourself I's suggest a 65 or 66. They are the easiest to work on and find parts for. I learned to work on cars when I baught a 66. It was a 6cyl car and it needed a lot of work. I drove it and did repairs on the weekend.

A lot of people don't like the 6cyl cars because they don't have alot of power. Really a worn out 289-2v isn't any faster. But, it is all a matter of personal prefrence!

There are tons of books about Mustangs. Most book stores have a few of them. There are also a lot of things online.

If you have anymore questions you are welcome to email me!
Mymustang66@juno.com

------------------
1995 Mustang V6,automaatic
1966 Mustang
The long term project
1983 Mustang GT
The 460 project

Michelle Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 09:26 PM   #4
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

Smile

64-67 = Looks,Performance,Appreciation, POTENTIAL!!

Call a classic car sales lot and offer to sell them a 68 through 80's Mustang most will tell you to go away but offer a 65 or 66 and listen to them beg, they won't care if its been at the bottom of the ocean for 10 years.

[This message has been edited by Black-Sunshine (edited 12-26-2000).]
Black-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote