MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-07-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
d-ceroin
Registered Member

Default Bone-stock or modified??

I am looking at a 65-68 fastback and cant decide on something that has not been modified/chopped up/etc and is pretty much the way it came from the factory, or getting something that has had engine mods, suspension upgrades and all that done to it.If I do go with a car that is pretty much stock,and I do want to upgrade some components(4 whl disc brakes, engine upgrades) is ther a particular year/engine combo I should be looking for?I am new at this and would appreciate any suggestions.
d-ceroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

65-66 you are pretty much limited to a small block.

67-up a big block fits no problem. Or small block with lotsa room.

Get something modded. Unless your going to show a car and that car is worth keeping bone stock, chop the bejezus out of it.

I think if your looking to drive the car, cruise etc. It should be made safe. That would mean updating brakes, suspention etc to have a safe car. Suc's to have a car with a hot motor and drum brakes.

Welcome to MustangWorks.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:19 AM   #3
whiteblue302
Registered Member

It's all personal preference. Like mustangII said, and the way I look at it is, the only reason to keep it original is as a collectors car or show car. I'd get bored and frustrated real quick with the old technology. A modded car will perform better and be a whole lot more fun to drive, not to mention work on. Keep in mind that stock with new brakes, and just a few engine components isn't stock anymore and turns into "lightly modified" which is probably the least fun/valuable of anything.
Good luck!
302- C4. Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake (p/p), RPM hydr cam 224/234 duration .496/.520 lift, 600cfm carb, full 2.5 dual exhaust, Hooker comp headers, full MSD ignition, port/polished stock heads, full alpine system and stock cooling =\
whiteblue302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I agree with both prev posts,but to spell it out a little more, I think you have to look at the pros and cons for both,
Stock:
Pro:
General "Bone stock" resale value (tho this has been becoming less of a factor as resto-mod has gotten bigger)

Starting with a "clean slate" for any future modification, you know exactly what if anything ,has been done and by whom.

Cons:
Near 40 year old technology, efficency, safety, etc.

Modded:
Pro:
Well done modifications increase performance/reliability without costing you in work/time/fees. (i.e. starting out w/ 4 wheel disk brakes or EFI)

Creature comforts can be increased as well.

Head start of an ultimate plan for a car.

Cons:
possible unknown modifications done by unknown and possibly unqualified parties.

More miles/driven harder to get the most out of the parts installed.

Body/ interior /engine bay damaged by previous modifications.

These are what leaps to mind, did I miss anything folks?

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:34 AM   #5
induction
The Brit!

BONE STOCK BABY!!!!!!
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I personally think that if it's a valuable car to begin with (say a K-code 289, BOSS, Shelby, etc.), or something that wasn't built in high numbers you may want to keep it stock because they're collector's items. Something less valuable and more widely available such as a 289 2 barrel or 200 six base model coupe i wouldn't so much worry about, and would mod the heck out of it. I suppose it's all personal preferance. i personally would rather have a modded muscle car because points are extremely obsolete/PITA to have maintain for maximum performance/economy. plus the old technology heads/cast iron intakes aren't the best for stock performance anyway. Cast iron exhaust manifolds are inefficient and newer carburetors have better atomization and fuel metering than older designs plus you can get parts for newer carbs out of any Jegs, summitracing, etc. magazine.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
69fastback
IRAQ VET

If you plan on working on the car. Get a small block. It is a real pain in the butt to work on a big block my headers touch the shock towers and is very hard to work on because of space. It does have its benifits you will never get the same kinda of feel form a small block. Me personally i would find a 65 or 66 that was pretty stock and then mod the heck out of it. Find yourself a 302 and bore and stroke it to 347. a 302 looks just like a 289 sitting in there. Good way to make a sleeper. Make sure to get some suspension work and disc brakes. It is not fun trying to stop a 400hp car with drum brakes I have almost wrecked quit a few times.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: