MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default brakes: Master cylinder help needed

I just started bleeding my brakes for the first time, since i upgraded to a dual master cylinder. My car is a 65 mustang, and I put in a 67 mustang dual master cylinder, along with the push rod. I was bleeding the brakes, and there was probably about 3-4 inches of free play before it started to get hard for the last 1-2 inches. (brake pedal movement) Then, it just stopped going up at all, so the brake pedal sits really low. I tried pulling up on the brake pedal pretty hard, and I couldnt get it to budge. Im guessing I pushed the piston in the master too far. Is there any easy way to get it to come back?? Can i adjust the stop for the brake pedal under the dash, and if so, how far do i want it to go? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: brakes: Master cylinder help needed

Did you adjust the push rod?? Is is powerbrakes??

Have you tried loosing the mastercylinder from the firewall and see where the rod is??

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

I didnt adjust the push rod, i dont believe it can be adjusted..... Manual brakes. I'll try it out, thanks!
-------------
well, i yanked it out, and i cant get the push rod to come out?? Looking through my chiltons guide, it seems like its not supposed to, but im pretty sure that they came seperately when i bought it....? What should i be looking for? Is there anyway i can get that piston back into its bore without having to take my MC out? thanks for any input.

Last edited by bmxmon; 10-08-2005 at 03:28 PM..
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
RacerX13
Registered Member

Well, I don't know if you solved your Problem or not but, The Push rod dose come out of the Master Cylinder. The thing is, theres a ring on the end that locks the push rod into place. the only way to remove it it to take the MC off and jerk around on it. I have even had to resort to a ball ping hammer before to do this. Now about your Pedal being 2" lower than it was. Is most likely a result of the push rod being shorter in a 67 than a 65. This i am not sure of but i would try putting your old push rod into the new master cylinder.
RacerX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:54 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

cool, i will try it out. Im not sure if i even have my old push rod still..... Maybe i will try to make my new one adjustable. I still think something went wrong inside the master, so i will swap out the rod and take the master apart to make sure. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
teresa
Registered Member

hey just did the MC on my '66. You have to keep your old push rod, so you will have to take out the MC again and switch them. The '67 is too big. I'm sure you have done this already since this is an old post. If you have an other questions feel free to ask. Teresa@stangmail.com
teresa is offline   Reply With Quote