MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-20-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
66StangGuy
Registered Member

Default Broken Motor Mount?

I think i broke a motor mount or something. this happened yesterday. Droped my friend off at home after school and was leaving so i put it in drive and hit the gas. Instantly the Pedal stuck itself to the floor and the car jumped and took off like HELL!

I kicked the pedal again to see if i could get it to come back out like it go stuck or something but it wouldnt come back. so i hit the brake and locked the wheels then the pedal came back and the engine returned to idle. this scared the living crud out of me.

Only thing i can come up with is broken motor mount. when the engine torques its pulling the carb farther away from the firewall and the bracket to the gas pedal causing the pedal to sink and the motor to run hard. i can drive the car fine as long at i dont hit the gas hard off the line. once im going im ok...if i hit it hard off the line is does the same thing.

I checked the mounts and it looks ok visually and the bolts are all there and everything seems intact. the mounts are about 2 or 3 years old i think. they are the mounts that i got when i bought the car so i know they are not too old.

when i hit the brake to stop the car i can also hear a loud thunk from what sounds like the passenger side but maybe its the drivers not sure.

if i do replace the mounts what the best thing to get? i dont want this to happen again. someone told me the best are 87 ford ranger mounts? something like that...supposed to be stronger. what should i look for? i need something that will hold up to the abuse i put on this car.

help me please!!!! what else should i check
Old 05-21-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Jack up on the balancer and you should be able to see if the mounts are busted, or which one is.

Factory mounts are a sandwiched piece of rubber. They go bad.

Get a set of urathene (sp?) type. Soild mounts are too harsh.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:28 AM   #3
hoffdaddy76
Registered Member

I would put a floor jack under your engine and with a little pressure see if you can tell if the motor mount is broken.
hoffdaddy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 01:46 PM   #4
Shaggy
Registered Member

The best you can buy and only poly urethane pre mades for the 66 are these

Unfortunately they arre around 200 bucks.

What I did is replace them with OEM style rubbers becasue they are 20 bucks from most parts houses and built a toque stratp from a turnbuckle on the drivers side to control the twisting and not overly strain the rubber mount. Like this.

The turnbuckle cost me less then 10 bucks and then i had enough steel laying around to make the brackets.

{edit}

PS DON'T jack it up by the balancer if you are going to test it with a jack jack it up from the bellousing.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:43 AM   #5
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

sounds like the left motor mount is busted. i had that happen to my 70 falcon once. you really cant tell by looking unless you can get real close, but on mine i saw a hairline fracture in the rubber when the car was on a lift getting some air shocks installed. best to replace the mounts and use a torque strap of some kind to prevent it from happening again. the rubber deteriorates with age and soaking from engine oil.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
66StangGuy
Registered Member

fixed the problem. lifted the motor by the crank pully and found the drivers side motor mount completely busted. 2 pieces. so swaped it out and a while later after struggling with the headders i got the mount it. took it around the block and everything feels better. frame actually feels like it got stonger as well.. im sure the motor helps keeping it from twisting.. anyway got that fixed just put in a stock mount. if i have problems again a friend of mine said that i can swap it with 87 f-150 mounts that are a little different but if i swap the mounts and the bracket on the frame then it will all fit and also lift the motor a little and im told that will help traction because of the angle. anyway just though id post that its fixed and the info i found from this so that someone else can benifit from my research.