MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-04-2000, 10:37 PM   #1
mustangmissi
Registered Member

Question To Buy or Not to Buy?

I found this sweet, but beat up 73 Mach I at a used car dealer. He says it is a Q series. I've never heard of such a thing. Of course, there are lots and lots of things of which I am not aware.

He's asking more than I would normally pay for a car in the condition of this poor baby. Is the Q series real? Does it add a lot of value?

Any info or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Mustangmissi
mustangmissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2000, 09:13 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

If it is a real Q series it does add value. It should be a 351-4V, locking differential, etc...
Just be careful and check the VIN data plate on the door and you will be able to tell more. The 73 model is still hurting for aftermarket parts so check out which parts you will have to replace.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2000, 10:27 AM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Post the VIN on here and someone will be able to tell you all you want to know. (mostly)

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 48,000 miles. $11,500
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2000, 12:47 PM   #4
make7UPYOURS

what difference does it make to a dealer if its a "Q" code car or not! this guy has a piece of crap he's trying to unload, its not his personal car and he most likely gave some chump $500 for it as a trade in and is going to sent it to an auction anyway. whatever he's asking, take half that much in cash and i guarantee the car will be yours. ive bought and deal with classic mustangs all the time, the used car lot is where i have most experience. and clark is right, 73 parts can be a mother is you are going to make it all original. there are a lot of better looking stangs than 73, and unless you like to own a trailer queen, by the time you restore it you wont want to drive it for all the money you invested. best bet, get an old mustang, dont worry about originality, and restomod it the way you like. its cheaper and more fun. tell the dealer to stick the code if he does want to get reasonable on the price.

------------------
67stang coupe, carb on 5.0, 4 speed, 4.11's....8.41 @ 83mph in 1/8 wanting 7's
Old 10-05-2000, 08:13 PM   #5
lx mike
Undescribable

Missi, unless your looking for a car to restore to factory original quality then i would suggest u keep looking. what are u looking to do with the car? restore it? modify it? if your gonna modify it then q-code or wahtever code the car is won't mean a thing cuase it will not be original.
keep looking there are betetr deals out there.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2000, 09:23 PM   #6
mustangmissi
Registered Member

I do want to modify the heck out of it and turn it into a really weird farout hotrod kinda road racing car.

I really like the looks of the Mach 1's. I guess I like big. No one is gonna accuse me of compensating for anything I was gonna try and get a 454 or something bigger and keep the original engine & tranny. I love my current '95 GT, but circumstances are forcing me to sell it for $.

I can't bear to be without a car, preferably a mustang. The GT is bone stock cause it runs so nice the way it is, I hated to mess with it. So I was looking for something I could modify to my hearts content and not ruin the value of it.

I thought he was yanking my chain about this Q series thing just cause I was grinning the whole time I was revving it. I wasn't allowed to drive it though. Hmmm, made me wonder.

I think I'll try the half the asking price in cash and see what happens, and if that doesn't work I'll keep looking.

I need to sell my GT, but I cry everytime I think of it. I need something to console me.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. I'll try to get the VIN on it too.

Mustang Missi
mustangmissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2000, 11:53 AM   #7
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Forget that the car is a q code car. First it is a 73 so it is not like finding a k code 65. Since you are going to modify it the q is meaningless. How much work does it need? 71-73's are hard to find parts for (I need a 72 Mach 1 grille, it is $500 used.) Don't be suckered in to buying because it may be somewhat rare.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2000, 04:45 PM   #8
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Make sure that you test drive that car before you decide to buy it. Sounds fishy that he would not let you test drive it. If he still doesn't let you or requires something like a stupid deposit (which it sounds like it definitely does not need) tell him where to stick his car and go spend your money else where. The best thing one can do is shop. Don't settle right away on just one car. See what all is out there first. My $.02

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 48,000 miles. $11,500
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote