MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
65 coupe
Registered Member

Default C-4 Swap Question

I have a '65 with a 200 and a 2.77 3-speed manual. I plan on swapping the manual out for a C-4, which I already have. I was wondering if anybody has done this before, and what the swap would require.

The donor C-4 I am using is coming from a whole 200 engine/tranny assembly, so I have the starter, lines, radiator, linkage, ect...
The biggest question I have is about the driveshaft. I know the auto accepts a different slip yoke, but can I reuse my driveshaft? Someone told me I might need a pinion yoke from the rear end of an auto car. Are the pinion yokes different lengths?
I haven't had a chance to do any measuring, since the car is at home and I am at college, but I really just want an idea of what I am going to need to do.

I was thinking about just going ahead and getting a new driveshaft made at a local shop, since I would need a new slip yoke, pinion yoke, and the u-joints are shot anyway. Is this worth it?
any suggestions?
65 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: C-4 Swap Question

Measure the total length of the manual transmission... if it is the same or within 1/2" or so, you should be alright with the length.

The question that I would have would be the driveshaft yoke, which may be different. If that slips in, you are in business and it should go relatively easy.

Also compare the bellhousings... I would think they would be the same bolt pattern, but I'm not positive.

The mount should be about the same... but you will need to change the flywheel to the flexplate. You will also need to swap the plate between the engine and transmission, and the inspection plate that allows you to get at the torque converter bolts.

Now, to make things easy on you, have something ready to catch the oil before you pull the driveshaft. after that is done draining, I like taking some plastic wrap and something like an paint can cap and wrap up the back of the tranny, because you are sure going to be spilling a heck of a lot of nasty gear oil if you don't... and that stuff is not only a pain in the butt to clean up, it stinks forever.

As far as the lines go... I would recommend that you route them to an aftermarket transmission cooler that will attach to the front of the radiator... be sure the lines are clear of moving parts, lines and the fan.

Now... for a bit of honesty... Save yourself time, money, and headaches. It is a C4... it will be out of the car. Go ahead and have the thing rebuilt whether or not it needs it. Call around, you should be able to find someone to do it for under $400... and make sure you have a new torque converter while your at it.

Probably the best piece of mind you can buy, and it will probably save you headaches in the future...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
65 coupe
Registered Member

Thanks.
The transmission I have is already attached to a 200. I pulled the whole engine and transmission assembly from a donor, so the block plate, flex plate and, inspection plate are there. So that should be an easy swap.
The trans. cooler is a good suggestion. Hopefully it will extend the life of the tranny.
As for getting it rebuilt: just not in the budget. I know it would be nice, but I'm trying to spend as little as possible.
Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I agree with phillyfanfrombirth, you'll problably be sorry about not doing the c-4 while it is out of the car. Then it will be...."I told you so" time.

Also, in your last post you said....The trans. cooler is a good suggestion. Hopefully it will extend the life of the tranny.....well that isn't an option. You need some type of trans. cooler. Either a factory one, in the radiator, or an aftermarket one that goes in front of the radiator. Without one...well transmission will overheat and self destruct in a matter of hours, if not sooner. If the car manufactors could leave the trans. cooler off of cars, without any problems, don't you think they would??? Just to save money!!

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Learned that the hard way... Who really wants to get good at replacing transmissions? I went through three of them before I broke down and finally got one rebuilt, turns out the guy who rebuilt it told me what the problem was... My "new" radiator, was leaking fluid into the cooler. Rusted everything up...

All I needed to do was route the tranny cooler, which I already had on in hope of solving overheating problems, outside of the radiator... No more problems.

Painful and costly lesson... but it was a lesson that has since been heeded, when in doubt about the transmission... don't get cheap, because that gets expensive...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
65 coupe
Registered Member

Gearhead999:
I am aware that the transmission needs cooling. I have a radiator and lines from another automatic car for this application (stated in the original message).

I was responding to the suggestion that I get an external aftermarket cooler. The addition of an aftermarket cooler would increase cooling efficiency over the stock radiator oil cooler, lowering transmission fluid temperatures, and ultimately extending the life of the transmission.

Just clearing things up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: