View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: C-4 Swap Question

Measure the total length of the manual transmission... if it is the same or within 1/2" or so, you should be alright with the length.

The question that I would have would be the driveshaft yoke, which may be different. If that slips in, you are in business and it should go relatively easy.

Also compare the bellhousings... I would think they would be the same bolt pattern, but I'm not positive.

The mount should be about the same... but you will need to change the flywheel to the flexplate. You will also need to swap the plate between the engine and transmission, and the inspection plate that allows you to get at the torque converter bolts.

Now, to make things easy on you, have something ready to catch the oil before you pull the driveshaft. after that is done draining, I like taking some plastic wrap and something like an paint can cap and wrap up the back of the tranny, because you are sure going to be spilling a heck of a lot of nasty gear oil if you don't... and that stuff is not only a pain in the butt to clean up, it stinks forever.

As far as the lines go... I would recommend that you route them to an aftermarket transmission cooler that will attach to the front of the radiator... be sure the lines are clear of moving parts, lines and the fan.

Now... for a bit of honesty... Save yourself time, money, and headaches. It is a C4... it will be out of the car. Go ahead and have the thing rebuilt whether or not it needs it. Call around, you should be able to find someone to do it for under $400... and make sure you have a new torque converter while your at it.

Probably the best piece of mind you can buy, and it will probably save you headaches in the future...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote