MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   C-4 Trans Puking (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=47048)

firewrench 09-14-2005 03:53 PM

C-4 Trans Puking

I checked the archives and didn't see this one... 1966 Stang, 200 6 cyl, c-4 trans (rebuilt 6 months ago). Trans was good till I installed a new three core radiator with shroud. Now pukes trans fluid out of top of dipstick tube. Not over full, in fact, low but if I add any fluid, she barfs it right out. Coolant level in radiator is good and hasn't dropped. (Not going into trans thru cooler). I haven't dropped the pan yet... wanted to see if anybody heard of this before and might point me in the right direction. I don't find a vent hole anywhere on the trans body. Should there be one?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Firewrench

Gearhead999 09-14-2005 04:14 PM

Re: C-4 Trans Puking

Is the cooler in the radiator open and clear??
The cooler lines are kinked or clogged??

The C-4 vent is on the top toward the rear of the transmission.

firewrench 09-14-2005 10:02 PM

Brand new radiator and lines. Car sat for a month waiting for me to install the radiator. I'm thinking the vent may have been plugged by an insect or something. But couldn't find a vent tube.
Thanks

Phillyfanfrombirth 09-15-2005 11:48 AM

There is a cap on the top of the mid section of the tranny... looks like the top of an acorn, without the stem...

Sounds to me like a radiator problem, though... maybe some lead got in the cooler when they were making it... Get a tranny cooler, and route the lines directly to and from the cooler. A small one should do.

firewrench 09-23-2005 04:30 PM

Finally got to check the radiator trans cooler and it is clear. lines are clear also. Can't find any vent on this critter. looked it over many times with a mirror and a flashlight. no vent. fluid level wont touch stick, added 16 oz. filled to brim of dip tube. vacum pumped out 8 oz, rowed through the gears, not showing anything on stick. drove around the block, level is 4 inches up the stick. ?????????? very strange.

Phillyfanfrombirth 09-23-2005 05:01 PM

On C4s, you always have to check the fluid level with the engine warmed,running, and in park.... and of course on level ground.

Kisner 09-24-2005 10:06 AM

The C-4 in my 68 always gave strange readings too. After lots of trial and error, I finally figured out how to get a constant accurate reading. I have to crank her up and let her warm up for 5 minutes, drive 5 miles down the road and back (10 miles total), and check the fluid with the car running - I get an accurate reading every time. Actually had mine way overfull also and had to siphon about a quart out.

firewrench 09-26-2005 09:46 PM

Well the saga continues. Apparently I was able to assemble a trans without a vent. I guess early C-4's had the vent on the main body and later models had vent on tailshaft housing. When I combined the transmissions we had, I inadvertantly mated the two halves without vents. Spent too much time getting the clutch packs and bands right and didn't pay enough attention to the vent. doh! I hate it when I do that. Oh well, back to the grind.
Thanks for all the help.

Phillyfanfrombirth 09-26-2005 10:36 PM

Sorry to hear that man... hopefully you can get away with draining the fluid, dropping the driveshaft, and swapping tailshafts.