MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-1999, 12:07 AM   #1
Spook
Registered Member

Question C4 Transmission

I'm having problems putting the trans back together. I can't seem to get the tourque converter back onto the input shaft. I think the input shaft is sticking out from the front pump too far. Does anyone know about how far it's supposed to be sticking out? If it comes out too far can it be slid back in without taking the whole trans apart? I'm all out of ideas. Next step is a tranny shop.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-1999, 12:38 AM   #2
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

Spook,

How far did you tear down the tranny? Did you pull the pump out maybe as much as a quarter of an inch, or more?

If so, there are thrust washers inside, at the clutch packs and they will drop out of place if the pump is moved too much. They have little alignment tabs and those tabs, if not in the correct places, will make your life miserable when trying to resecure the pump and bell housing bolts. There will be a bind and nothing will turn. Or, they may also prevent the shaft from seating properly, which could be part of the problem. Easy to fix though.

The torque converter has "one last slot" that it needs to fit into when installing it. You might think it is on all the way, but keep turning it slowly and it will hit that last slot. When properly installed, it will be very close to the bell housing, probably less than a half inch. If it is not in the final slot, it will bind against the flex plate when trying to tighten the bell housing bolts to the back of the block.

Let us know.

Neal

[This message has been edited by Neal Jackson (edited 07-24-1999).]
Neal Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-1999, 10:40 AM   #3
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

That torque converter not engaging ate my lunch once. Make sure you rotate it slow like Neal said and apply slight pressure to make it seat that last little bit.
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote