MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-06-2001, 11:20 PM   #1
SLEEEPER
Registered Member

Question C6 vs C4

Which is a more preferable tranny. Is the C6 concedered a HD tranny? stronger than a c4?

SLEEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 02:46 AM   #2
PKRWUD

The c6 is damn near bullet-proof, but it weighs as much as a Sherman tank.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 06:56 AM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Thumbs up

The c6 tranny was used for the bigger, stronger engines like the 351 and 400. The c4 was used for the smaller engines like the 289 and 302. I have a c4 in my mustang, and a c6 in my bronco, I like the c6 better. I have heard of c6's being bolted up to a 302 or 289, I also heard that there were a few '66 mustangs that came stock with a c6, try to find that.

------------------
66' Mustang 2bbl 289 coupe, stock.
79' Mustang soon to be a 302-selling-
89' Bronco 351w
AIRMEN FIRST CLASS
KASPAR T. HOWE

mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:42 PM   #4
Ron1
Registered Member

The biggest dis-advantage to the C6 is the weight. The aftermarket C4's being built today can be made to handle over a 1000 horse. Most racers prefer the C4 because of the weight advantage.

BTW...It seems every time I heard "hey it's bulletproof" always ended upbeing followed by "sorry man, it's toast"

Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 01:42 PM   #5
Shaggy
Registered Member

Here is my expierence built (manual valve body and all) c-4's would last me about a month.....stock c-6 with a b&m shift kit still good 1 1/2 years later. I run about .3 quicker with the c-6 but I attribute that to the fact I put an 10 in convertor in with it verses the 11 in I had in the c-4 actual weight gained after transplant was less than 50 pounds and have watched a drag (hp to turn the output shaft) comparsion betweeen a c-4 and a c-6 they have the same parisitic loss. Now the thing I am sure to get the flames started with but all the sub 10 sec. fords I know either have 2 c-6's one for back up at the track or 3 c-4's one to run one for backup or one being rebuilt after only a weekend of racing verses getting a season or more out of a c-6. With that I wish you luck on your decision.

------------------
67 Falcon Small Block,C-6,3.25 spool, best ET to date 13.2 tore that motor down and found 3 spun rod bearings and 2 flat lobes on the cam hoping for 12's with the same setup just fresh same cam grind and all.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote