MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2000, 04:21 PM   #1
Giddy Up
Registered Member

Cool Cable clutch swap for old mechanical linkage, any ideas?

I recently swapped a crate motor 5.0 EFI into my 68 Mustang coupe along with a T-5 tranny. 25,000 miles later and I'm starting to get tired of the old style mechanical clutch linkage. It is rough and less "refined" than my dads 96 Mustang GT. I know that there is a way to swap the cable clutch linkage from a Fox chassis Mustang into mine, but I was wondering if anybody out there has done it already. If anybody has, can you please reply and let me know how easy or hard it was and the specifics of the conversion. Classic Mustangs rule, Classic Mustangs with modern technology underneath dominate! Thanks to all that reply

------------------
1968 Fuel Injected Mustang Coupe
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 10:32 AM   #2
copester
Registered Member

The new issue of Mustangs Illustrated has all the info you need.
copester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 06:07 PM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

I'm glad to hear that there is an article out there on this swap! I did it last year, made my own pedal, and used the cable from an 88 (came with the T-5 I bought years ago).

This is an excellent swap, and not too difficult. I'd say it would be EASY if you can buy the clutch pedal already modified.

Say Giddy Up....how do you like that EFI? I should be ready to hook mine up in about a month.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 09:11 PM   #4
Giddy Up
Registered Member

Thumbs up

copester, thanks for the info....I just picked up a copy of the new Mustang Illustrated and now I can look into performing this swap or a similar one.
Old 10-25-2000, 09:15 PM   #5
texasthunder
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Giddy Up:
I recently swapped a crate motor 5.0 EFI into my 68 Mustang coupe along with a T-5 tranny. 25,000 miles later and I'm starting to get tired of the old style mechanical clutch linkage. It is rough and less "refined" than my dads 96 Mustang GT. I know that there is a way to swap the cable clutch linkage from a Fox chassis Mustang into mine, but I was wondering if anybody out there has done it already. If anybody has, can you please reply and let me know how easy or hard it was and the specifics of the conversion. Classic Mustangs rule, Classic Mustangs with modern technology underneath dominate! Thanks to all that reply

The article in the new MI is on installing a hydraulic clutch with a master and slave cylinder. I am looking I remember an article in a past issue of Fast Fords or MI on installing a cable operated clutch, will get back to you asap with the information.

------------------
texasthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 09:35 PM   #6
Giddy Up
Registered Member

66fastback, do I like EFI in my 68?...YES! very much so.....I drive my car about 17,000 miles a year, and in any weather...not only is my MPG more than twice as much as it was before, the power and torque increase was quite substantial...on cold mornings I don't have to sit in the driveway and let the car warm up before leaving for work, I just get in and go and the sound of the roller cam and smooth power is music to my ears...another plus is the 91 amp alternator, my lights are brighter and I don't have to worry about my 350watt sound system killing the battery.....

...just a little advice for you when you hook up your EFI, make sure that you block your air filter from the engine fan/alternator fan air flow (if you use an open element filter) in some cases the air flow from them can cause a hunting idle if they enter into the air intake tubing....also I highly recomend using an electric fan in place of the old style engine driven unit, when I first built my EFI 5.0 I used the old style fan but when I switched to the electric one not only did my idle RPM smooth out but I could really feel the power increase in the seat of my pants and the sound the engine makes without the water pump fan clouding it is beautiful...sorry for the long winded reply, I just can't say enough about the advantages of EFI, if you have any questions about hooking yours up I'd be happy to help....good luck

------------------
1968 Fuel Injected Mustang Coupe
Old 10-28-2000, 10:25 AM   #7
66fastback
Registered Member

Thanks Giddy Up, that's just what I wanted to hear. I'm already there on most of those steps....I have the 90 amp alt. running and I converted to an electric fan years ago. That's a great change.

BTW, I've never had to replace my water pump since I got rid of the stock fan. Hmmm. Could it be that the vibration from the stock fans wear out the water pump bearings?

I am planing on using the stock air box with the panel style filter (K&N naturally) so that it doesn't get wet, and I won't have to worry about fan wash either.

I put about 12-15k miles a year on my car too, so I want to make sure it is smooth and reliable.

Enjoy the ride, it's great cruising weather.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote