MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2001, 12:48 PM   #1
Murray
Registered Member

Unhappy cam break-in PROBLEMS

I put an '80 351W into my 68 mustang. I first installed an Edelbrock Performer cam, timing chain and gears and Performer intake.This morning was the 30 min. initial start-up to break in the cam. I turned it over first to build up some oil pressure, then started it on high idle. She purred like a kitten. About 5 minutes into the run there was some random clunking and the engine started running a little rougher. There was a few more occasional clunks and after a couple of louder ones I shut it down at the 15min. mark. I followed the installation instrucions to a tee. Did I knock a lobe off? Any suggestions what to check now? Murray
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:06 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

Kinda sounds like what mine did when I went to break it in. Had to tear it down again and found it was a stuck lifter.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 11:39 PM   #3
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

I'd say pull the valve covers and make sure the valvetrain is tight, e.g., no loose rocker arms. Also, pull the dipstick and look for fine metal sediment in the oil.

I once lost a cam during break in, and it really stunk...it destroyed a few bearings and the little 289 had to come out.

Russ

------------------
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 11:43 AM   #4
Murray
Registered Member

Problem solved. I pulled the valve covers and found a rocker arm bolt very loose,rocker cocked to the side and push rod wedged. I rechecked all the bolt torques and found one other under torqued. I was sure I did them all twice. I decided to redo all the bolts with loctite. Luckily no damage was done. Murray
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:22 PM   #5
leestanger
Registered Member

Remember which rocker was off line. In the future if (hopefully never) you have any problems that could relate to a bad/worn valve guide, side loading of that valve could make its guide go sooner than the others.
leestanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 07:00 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Whew, glad that's all it was. Some time ago, when I installed roller tip rockers on my '66, I also installed poly-locks to insure a permanent adjustment. I had been admonished not to torque down the stud nuts too tight against the allen head lock screws as one can twist off the studs on those stepped rocker studs. Anyway, while testing out these new roller tip rockers, what comes up beside me at 60 mmph on a suburban freeway but a damned Camaro reving and jumping forward. After dropping to 2 nd and putting a few lengths on him, my car just cratered running on about six cylinders. Same thing had happened to me that happened to you. Two push rods were not even connected to the rocker arms. Was an easy fix. Now I adjust everything, lock the poly-lock allen screws, and then put 20-25 lb/ft ont he stud nuts to insure a firm adjustment. No problems since and they stay in adjustment. Scared the pee out of me when that happened though. Glad yours wasn';t any worse.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 08:35 PM   #7
j's69stang
Registered Member

i had a rocker arm snap in half on me one day i was just driving easy and all the sudden i hear the loud tappen noise. so i get out and its coming through the carb. i was like oh Lord what now. i drive it all the way home and take the valve covers off and i find a rocker arm snapped in half on me. scared me to death but thank goodness it was easy and cheap to fix
j's69stang is offline   Reply With Quote