MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
zeppi
66 fastback

Default can anyone help?

I have a 66 fast back i just put a 302 in eveything is together and run strong, starts good but I have two thing causing me problems 1 I can get a good timming read because the motor cam with a newer style timming change cover. Now I set the motor at what I thought was top dead center and put a pionter where one should be on the cover but my timing reads 42 advanced at a idel so I know that is not right can it? (but it seems to run and start good) is there a way to get a good read on it without changing the cover? or is it right? and 2nd it runs hot and my old 289 same rad and fan ran 160 max now i am at 190 200 going down the road and back. If the timing is really off would it make it run hot or are they 2 differant problems?

thanks for any help
zeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: can anyone help?

What I would do is use a piston stop that you screw into the #1 spark plug hole to contact the piston on it's way up. You may be able to borrow that tool from your local auto supply store (AutoZone, Pepboys, etc.). Before you insert the stop, crank the engine a little at a time with your finger over the #1 spark plug hole until you barely detect some compression. Install the stop.Turn the engine only by hand until the piston stop makes contact with the piston. Record the degree reading on the damper with the pointer in it's current position . Now turn the engine backwards until the piston contacts the stop. Again, turn the engine only by hand and gently at that. Record that reading on the damper.

If you take the mid-point between those two readings, you will have what should be top dead center (0 degrees advance). Adjust your pointer to point at TDC on the damper/balancer. You now should get correct readings when you time the engine with a timing light..

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 07-05-2005 at 10:28 AM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote