MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2000, 05:04 PM   #1
shelby2
Registered Member

Question can't turn my crank

hello everyone, i have a problem. I just installed my newly rebuilt 289 and an aod transmission yesterday. Today when I tried to turn the crank to tighten the flywheel to torque converter nuts, i couldn't turn it. When the engine was on a stand it took about 80 ft/lbs to turn it and now that the transmission is bolted to it, it gave it 140 ft/lbs and didn't budge. I don't want to break the bolt off in the crank so i don't want to pull much harder. I tried to remove the starter and dampner and neither helped. I don't know why it's so hard to turn. I've been trying all day and its starting to get to me. If anyone has had a problem like this i would appreciate your help. thanks, shawn.

------------------
My mustang is my daily driver: why own it if you don't drive it
1967 coupe modified with sefi and aod
many others
more to come
shelby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2000, 06:12 PM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

Dude, this sounds like bad news. I can reach into my engine bay and turn the engine by hand on the crank pulley. It's not an easy thing mind you, but I doubt its anywhere near 80 ft lbs.

Just a thought. Do you by any chance have the heads bolted down--with spark plugs in-- but haven't set the lifter clearance yet. Where I'm going with this is you would have eight sealed chambers and no way for the valves to open to bleed off pressure. I've done it before and the engine is almost impossible to turn.

Hope this is it, the easy fix is pull the plugs, or set the valve lash. Good luck, Doc.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2000, 07:23 PM   #3
shelby2
Registered Member

i dohave the heads bolted down and the lifters adjusted, but i haven't got to the plugs yet, so that is not the problem. i have been told that the converter isn't fully engaged, but i don't know. maybe i'll undo the lifters and see if that helps. thanks anyway.
shelby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2000, 04:35 PM   #4
66fastback
Registered Member

Yeah, I can see that....if the torque converter isn't fully seated, then things could really get in a bind when you tightened the tranny to the block.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2000, 06:31 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

I think 66fastback is right. When you have the tranny bolted to the block and before the converter is bolted to the flex plate, you should have 1/10-1/8" end play. If there is none, the convertor was not fully seated into the tranny before installing. If this is true, you'll have to remove the trans, seat the convertor fully and reinstall. A lot of work I know. I hate to admit this, but I once installed a C-4 on my "66 without lining up the drain plugs with the holes in the flex plate. This required a new flex plate (bent), and complete reinstallation. If you can't turn it, then something's obviously binding. Good luck and keep us informed.

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote