MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-02-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
AJ67
Registered Member

Default Carb, cam, intake....instalation

Hello,
I have a 2v 289 in my 67 mustang. I purchased a performer intake manifold, performer plus cam, milodon water pump, new timing chain, K& N, flex fan, and trans cooler. I bought a Edelbrock 600 cfm eletric choke( with stock jettings) off a friend. He didn't have the instructions for it. Do you guys have any hints or suggestions on installing any of these parts? Any tips on tuning the carb? The car has Hooker comp. headers to 2.5'' dual exhaust with 40 series Flowmasters. Thanks guys, AJ
AJ67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:42 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Carb, cam, intake....instalation

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ67
Do you guys have any hints or suggestions on installing any of these parts? Any tips on tuning the carb? The car has Hooker comp. headers to 2.5'' dual exhaust with 40 series Flowmasters. Thanks guys, AJ
I have a suggestion ... it sounds like you are very new at this ... if thats a correct assumption, get help, thats to big and to advanced a project for a novice to take on alone.
As far as tuning the carb, leave it alone until you know if it needs tuning or not. The job of the carb is to introduce the fuel / air mixture in the correct ratio reguardless of how much air you suck through it. If its clean and working properly its pretty good at doing that, so most of the time its fine if you just leave it alone.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:00 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Default Edelbrock web site

My advice is to go to the Edelbrock web site and download the instructions for installation of the various parts you have bought. Be very meticulous and careful when installing the new cam. Most folks think it's necessary to degree a new cam to make sure all the specs are correct. For that you will need a degree wheel and a dial indicator. If it's a flat tappet cam, put lots of "goop" on the journals and lobes and be sure to use new lifters (correct solid or hydraulics from Edelbrock).

BE SURE TO BREAK IN THE NEW CAM CORRECTLY !!!

As mentioned, you might need some help with all this depending on your experience. The parts you have mentioned are mild improvements to a stock engine and should not pose many problems.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
tfish
Registered Member

Default update

Well AJ and I just finished putting his car together..about 3 weeks ago we installed Hooker Comp headers..pretty easy to do..there were a couple of bolts that were a bit of a bear to tighten. We then installed a 2 ½ “ dual exhaust system from Flowmaster..(he won it at school)..it was a bolt together system that included “flowmaster” collectors an H pipe and 3 chamber mufflers..it was pretty easy to do..took some time to cut and fit but all the parts where there..we ended up welding it together instead of bolting it..We did have to re-route the stock power steering hose to clear the headers..On Friday AJ began to install the cam, intake, carb, (Edelbrock) and timing chain, water pump By Sunday night he had 90% of it done..I finished up the minor stuff today..it started right up once the carb filled with fuel..after the 30 min cam break in, we took it for a ride..very nice..not sure on what the horse power is ..I do know that the car is not struggling like it was with the 2V system..It sound very nice with the new exhaust and now really sounds sweet…how hard was this to do? We just took our time and read the instruction and refered back to the book when we needed…next step?..there’s a 9” rear end sitting in the garage that needs to bolted in and we are looking into what we need to do front disc brakes..

Tony and AJ
tfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:30 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Default I'm glad

Sounds like you'all (southern-speak) are doing everything right. I'm glad that it's all going well. Do a chassis dyno run after you get it completed and post the results. I'd be very interested in the numbers.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: